easycarbo killing my java?

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
hi all,ive been useing easycarbo for just under a month now in both tanks.
and today ive had to trim upto 20% off all my java ferns in both tanks!!
easycarbo is the only thing that has been changed.i dose as per instructions on the bottle,every day.Is this the wy my javas are going black?
i add ferts once a week to both tanks.
should i cut back on the easycarbo,say once a week,and up the ferts two 2 x a week?

Last edited:

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I only use easycarbo every few days and often not the full dose. my java ferns are ok.
could anything else be attacking the leaves?

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
I only use easycarbo every few days and often not the full dose. my java ferns are ok.
could anything else be attacking the leaves?
The thing is it's happing in both tanks, both have diff fish in them. They both have amano shrimp tho.I'm thinking it might be cos I'm dosing every day.

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
The thing is it's happing in both tanks, both have diff fish in them. They both have amano shrimp tho.I'm thinking it might be cos I'm dosing every day.
yes dose every 2 or 3 days at a half dose
I do this no problems I have dosed every day at a half dose and it was fine but I slowed it down as i was getting some yellowing of small leaves.

Regards Bob

Sambo

Aug 21, 2011
uk
Hi, Easy carbo is fantastic...I dose my 45l with half a mil per day... sometimes I forget so it's not seven days a week ..and my 85 litre with one ml at the same rate...maybe your java fern is propogating... this blackening happened to me recently in my 45 but I strapped the blackened bits to bogwood while re-attatching the plant down (thinking the decaying plant would feed the CRS-cherry red shrimp) and within a month tiny little plantlets had formed from the blackened bits which incidentally I had presumed the black fluff to be black brush algae which I had treated by syringe barrel with the easy carbo dose daily as had worked in the 85l, but these turned out to be roots, now there are about forty extra java ferns six months on..since first using easy carbo.

Last edited: