new to plants

Tambo

Jun 9, 2011
Scotland
Hi im fiarly new to plants and was thinking of some for my new tank something that dosent take a lot of looking after was hoping for some sort of floating lant aswell as some others if anyone has any recomendations or can point me in the right direction? cheers:thumbup:

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
in my view I have anubias and Java fern in each tank. Easy to look after and very hard to kill off. Anubias usually come stuck on driftwood or rocks, so they add some nice set up pieces. cheers jk :thumbup:

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Riccia floats and find it easy to care for and if you want you can attach it to rocks or gauze and create a riccia carpet or even background I suppose.

I currently have duckweed which got in unintentionally and grows quick and seems to be divided opinion on it.

Depends on the size of tank you want to put plants into cabomba, elodea and vallis are all easy care fast growing and cheap. Cabomba and elodea are classed as weeds I think.

Anubias are nice and java fern, cryptocorynes all are easy to look after and good for lower light.

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
I will always recommend anubias for beginners right up to the more experienced, very easy to take care of, however can suffer from algal growth on the leaves as it's such a slow growing plant.

Java fern survives in most tanks without any special care but would thrive with Co2 and ferts added. As with the anubias the java fern needs to be attached to wood or rock, do not bury either in the substrate as they will rot and die.

Vallis as already stated is another good one. Some mosses are easy and look great on wood and rock.

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
Be aware that some lfs will sell houseplants as aquatic plants, these will not last long in your tank and will disintegrate and foul your water. With a few exceptions a good rule of thumb is if the plant is taken out of water if it cannot stay rigid it's an aquatic plant.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Same as the others really Anubias, Java Fern, Java moss as attached plants, Cryptocorynes and Amazon Sword (Echinodorus bleheri is easiest) as rosettes, Cabomba caroliniana, Hygrophila corymbosa & Rotala rotundifolia as stem plants and either Amazon Frogbit or Floating Fern (Salvinia) as a floater (although both FF and I quite like Duckweed). Other good ones that float below the surface, but aren't usually rooted, are Indian Fern (Ceratopteris) and Hornwort (Ceratophyllum).

For Vallis it really depends upon your water, if it is soft it won't do very well, but if your water is harder it will grow like a weed.

You can PM me if you got any questions.

Cheers Darrel

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Be aware that some lfs will sell houseplants as aquatic plants, these will not last long in your tank and will disintegrate and foul your water. With a few exceptions a good rule of thumb is if the plant is taken out of water if it cannot stay rigid it's an aquatic plant.
Is one of those an amazon sword , sure these can live in almost no water.

Art_Gal

Jun 23, 2011
New Jersey
My favorite has become the tiger lotus. I love the way the huge leaves grow upwards and then float on top of the water. I have to cut them back every week or 2 because they would block out all of the light but they look so pretty.

FF MkII

Retired Staff
Apr 28, 2009
North Yorks
Is one of those an amazon sword , sure these can live in almost no water.
Some aquatic plants are grown commercially with the leaves out of water to maximise co2 absorbtion and make for a stronger plant, but the lower part of the plant is in water. That's why some plants lose their leaves within the first couple of weeks when put in tanks, they are adjusting to being in water. Amazon swords are one of those.

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
I have seen how they do that say at the Tropica factory and any treatments they spray are concentrated so that is how if you don't rinse your plants properly it can kill your shrimp. Think I have learned that one myself already.

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au