Sexing L134's - Need help please.

Plecomate

Jul 28, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Some single close up shots can be a bit easier mate. I tried having a go at sexing them for you but failed they looked too similar like that in one photo

Thanks champ

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
it is true and makes it much easier if fish are single shot from above, as groud shots make it hard especially if they are hidding in corners or lips on containers. Also a size makes it easier to judge if they are mature enough. For the L134 8-10cm is the mark, otherwise below that they are usually not showing signs correctly. without predjudice, i think you have 1 female and that is fish 2 from left. rest are males, but as stated get single shots from above . cheers jk :thumbup:

plecoman

Nov 28, 2009
Columbia, Tennessee, USA
These fish are from 2 1/2 inches long to 3 inches long. From your information above, I think maybe mine are still not mature enough. I know that they are at least 2 years old. Next week, when I clean the tank again, I'll try and catch them all and get some single shots. Thanks for the input!

Last edited:

plecoman

Nov 28, 2009
Columbia, Tennessee, USA
I hope your right Brengun! That would be a possible 4 pairs! But, if Bigjohn is right, I've got another 6 - 12 months to wait still. I've heard that it sometimes takes 3 years or more for them to fully mature and breed. Thanks for all the information everyone!

plecoman

Nov 28, 2009
Columbia, Tennessee, USA
Thanks for all the input! From most responses on this site and other forums, it looks like another 6 mths to a year till they are fully mature. I've also just ordered another 6 wild caught L134's from snookn21, out of Florida, that will arrive next Tuesday. They are suppose to be around 2 1/2 inches long already. I should have quite a few pairs once all are mature.