What did I just buy?

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
Just found a bunch of these lurking at the back of a tank with a Gibby in.

My best guess would be Ancistrus ucayali but having never kept them I can't be sure.

Note the lip bristles, male?

I only got one, I may go back later and get some more, I've dropped it into the big tank now, will no doubt see it in a few months, it's so small (< 1 inch)

Adriantheone

Apr 1, 2010
In a cave on a cliff
Ancistrus.

Hi , can't garuantee whether or not this specimen is ucayali, but I can say with ancistrus at this size nodes around the snout doesn't denote sex, as females can show this trait, ancintrus males will grow 'bristles' through the centre of the nasal area. Hope this helps a little ?

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
i think it looks like an orange spot b/n....

and they can look thin at that size/age... nothing to be too concerned about..

as for male/female - too early to tell... :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
I've been back and got 2 more, the 2 I left behing had bent spines at the caudal.

It does look thin in that photo, the belly from below less so.

There is a ton of algae for them to go at in the tank, I am sure they will look fatter the next time I see them

Picked up 2 other fish, no idea what they are either but they are pretty, sure they are common enough but don't know what they are, can someone tell me?

another crap photo but should be good enough for id

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
10bucks on the panchax.....poor tetras........:cry:.........no more peace in the tank and also they eat shrimp :wb:...cheers jk :thumbup:

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
Hmmm, my girlfriend always seems to pick the wrong fish lol.

Saw 2 of the plecs going nuts on my wood last night so that's a good sign, having had no algae eater in the tank since it was set up there is plenty for them to go at.

Yann Fulliquet thinks they are Ucalayi so I will go with that unless someone can give a very convincing argument otherwise!

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
5 neons still going strong and one of the Ancistrus is like a man possessed on the algae on the back wall!

Would be nice to see all 3 of them but chances are slim with the amount of wood in there, I must just trust in Eheim.

ETA - All 3 spotted :D

Last edited: