Australian Orange spot Bns

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
to the best of my knowledge, in Australia they are always sold as orange spec bn. As bigjohnno states, also no idea of L number is AUS. cheers jk :thumbup:

Catfishrok

Jan 11, 2010
newcastle nsw
lol got excited for a second there when i saw i had a reply.

Thanx anyways BigJohnno + Bigbird,

keen to hear if any1 does have an idea
Or is the general consensus that we all have no idea with the identity of this fish?
Or is it another Aussie freak like the Peppermints?

Last edited:

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
peppermints freaks ? Dont think so, just their nickname and they look stunning. Their usual L number is L071. The orange spot bristlenose has an L number of L110 or/and L157. Please note that if you look for sale section 99.8% of the time they do not use L numbers for these BN but Peppermint and orange spot instead. cheers and hope you are more excited now with another reply. cheers jk :thumbup:

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
peppermints freaks ? Dont think so, just their nickname and they look stunning. Their usual L number is L071. The orange spot bristlenose has an L number of L110 or/and L157. Please note that if you look for sale section 99.8% of the time they do not use L numbers for these BN but Peppermint and orange spot instead. cheers and hope you are more excited now with another reply. cheers jk :thumbup:
Think the OP is referring to the belief that the Aus "Peppermint" is possibly a hybrid of a number of species of white-spotted Ancistrus.

Catfishrok

Jan 11, 2010
newcastle nsw
Think the OP is referring to the belief that the Aus "Peppermint" is possibly a hybrid of a number of species of white-spotted Ancistrus.
Yes that is what i meant, I should have said hybrids not freaks. They are great fish. I will feed mine extra zucchini tonight to make amends.

After Bigbirds reply and a little more reading it appears that L110/L157 is what most refer to the Orange Spot as in Australia.

The thing that confusses me is that is the Back to nature guide to L numbers lists the L110/L157 as a fish that grows between 20 and 25 cms. I have never seen an Orange Spot that big.

Has Anyone?

And yes always exciting to get a reply from knowledgeable people like yourselves.