L144?

Stan

Apr 23, 2009
Shenzhen, China
I was to Guangzhou this morning and of course stopped at a couple LFS. I found some young (2cm) abns and about 3/4 of them had blue-black eyes.
Would these be L144? I'm a bit confused as 25% of them had the usual yellow eyes. is there any other difference aside from the eyes?

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
most of the "L144" around aren't the true L144 anyway mate, instead they are another line bred variety of the common BN, just like albino commons and super reds.
There is every chance that someone has bred an albino/ common carrying the albino gene with a super red or "L144" giving a mixture of albino's with red eyes and black eyes

Stan

Apr 23, 2009
Shenzhen, China
I thought I'd remembered reading something on PC to that effect, so gave them a pass albeit reluctantly as they are nice looking. They were 3 euros each so I may just change my mind yet, not to breed but one or two might be nice in my tank of invisible plecs...:wb:

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
Thats the key mate, if you like them to look at, then get some. At that price theres nothing to lose and at least your more likely to see some movement in the tank lol

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
A true L144 has a more yellow colour that is even all over the body, whereas albino Bn have a more orangey colour (obviously not orange but you know what I mean) colour and they have light spots sometimes.
Cheers

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
I was to Guangzhou this morning and of course stopped at a couple LFS. I found some young (2cm) abns and about 3/4 of them had blue-black eyes.
Would these be L144? I'm a bit confused as 25% of them had the usual yellow eyes. is there any other difference aside from the eyes?
By yellow eyes do you mean the pupil or the sclera?
L144, or the fish so called, all have a black pupils but the sclera can be a bluish tint or a yellowish, normal tint. The key differentation is the pupil. Albinos have red pupils.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
A true L144 has a more yellow colour that is even all over the body, whereas albino Bn have a more orangey colour (obviously not orange but you know what I mean) colour and they have light spots sometimes.
Cheers
This shouldn't say "true L144" as most seen aren't the "true" L144 but rather a color form of a common brown. The coloration differences you mention do hold true however for the fish sold as L144 when compared to an albino Common BN.

nimbus

Nov 18, 2011
south west
most of the "L144" around aren't the true L144 anyway mate, instead they are another line bred variety of the common BN, just like albino commons and super reds.
Gutted - I have six of them:wb:

Nevertheless, real or fake - they will still be my favourites...........soon to be joined by some more fakes, Super Reds :thumbup:

Stan

Apr 23, 2009
Shenzhen, China
By yellow eyes do you mean the pupil or the sclera?
L144, or the fish so called, all have a black pupils but the sclera can be a bluish tint or a yellowish, normal tint. The key differentation is the pupil. Albinos have red pupils.
I'm going back tomorrow and I'll check the eyes out for sure, I can't recall if the ones with natural eyes had black or red pupils. Either way, scatz is right if i like them for that price I should buy a couple.
They are way too small to sex but I'd prefer males. Does the red triangle at the back of the head still apply as it would in ABN?