what is?

mekkalicious

Jun 1, 2012
milan - italy
hello guys, i have but some catfish, but in the shop says Panaque sp. Bruno, i don't think, there is all brown with fins clealer, and shades of blacks dots all over the body, eat algae and protein discus, live in the wood and are nocturnal, tanx for the answers,and if anyone has them how breeding them??
sorry for my bad english: Fischio:

Attachments

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
I think that Panaque sp. 'bruno' is a common name for Hypostomus soniae, also often referred to as 'blue eyed red fin'. But from your pictures and description I think that fish is Hypostomus cochliodon or something similar like Hypostomus sp. 'Rio Paraguay'.

All these fish can be considered like Panaque for their needs and care. They share similar teeth and jaws and will rasp on wood, eat vegetables and algae based dried foods.

This is mine, which I think is Hypostomus cochliodon and is about 18cm/7" now.

Jackson

Jan 14, 2011
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Bruno pleco is the common name of l-77 aka rusty pleco. They always come in as 137 but they never are.

Fast growers with lots of food and clean water.

Not sure what this one is. As mentioned you need to post better pics.

Matt~
very nice fish

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
I'm confident it's a Hypostomus (I can just about see it has 8 dorsal fin rays), but trying to identify a brown Hypostomus is like :wb: But I think Hypostomus weberi is a good contender.

Catfish2012

Oct 8, 2012
Selby
i am 98 % sure it is a panaque as i have just ordered Panaque nigrolineatus and been looking at other memebers off the family and i have seen a pic of this fish in the back to nature book i have i will doube check tomoz but i think it is a young Panaque

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
It is a L191 semi - adult with a typical spot pattern
Nope.
1) wrong profile, too elongated
2) L191 doesn't have redish colored fins
3) spotted pattern is more broken lines, thus their other comon name of broken line royal, not rounded spots.
4) at that size L191 often still have their window in the tail

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
its to bulky to be anything but a panaque
Have you taken a good look at Cochliodon? It was once its own family and thought related to Panaque as it shares similar attirbutes as well as dentiition but has been reclassified as a Hypostomus. There is a reason that this fish and other similar cochliodon have been sold as Panaque "bruno", because they appear similar to Panaque.

I've kept L190, L27 & L191 in the past and Matt and Jackson have two of the best collections of Panaques I've seen. Pretty sure we'd be able to tell a Panaque.

Catfish2012

Oct 8, 2012
Selby
Have you taken a good look at Cochliodon? It was once its own family and thought related to Panaque as it shares similar attirbutes as well as dentiition but has been reclassified as a Hypostomus. There is a reason that this fish and other similar cochliodon have been sold as Panaque "bruno", because they appear similar to Panaque.

I've kept L190, L27 & L191 in the past and Matt and Jackson have two of the best collections of Panaques I've seen. Pretty sure we'd be able to tell a Panaque.

ok i kneel to ur experience