L200a or L200

Status
Not open for further replies.

plecking

Apr 24, 2013
Sydney
Hi Guys,
I was told that this is an L200a. Hence, would like your expertise in identifying if this is an L200a or L200?
Thanks!

Last edited:

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
If the dorsal fin and the adipose fin are connected its a Baryancistrus demantoides if they are separate it is a Hemiancistrus subviridis.

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
definite blue phantom... and as stated above if dorsal fin is joined to the small fin before the tail it is a L200a... i actually havent seen any genuine L200a's for a very long time... everybody likes to tag the hifin to their L200 as it sounds good and people think it increases their sales prospect...
but in reality not many people actually know :thumbup:

comparrison shown in link

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/image.php?image_id=8309

plecking

Apr 24, 2013
Sydney
Thanks guys! Really appreciate the prompt responses! I actually would prefer/knowing I have a blue Phantom than a Green Phantom. :) Cheers!

fishy

Dec 18, 2011
sydney
/

hi pleking did what asked had good look at your pic take a good look at your pic again look from were head start all the way right to nose either i need new glasses or head green . i see a 200 head colour and a 128 body blue on fins so what do you call it. forget spots that wont help anyone want to debate spots send your mobile and ill send u pics of 2x full spot green also i had 3 subs that were for sale full spot i sold as 200 as green all over not quarter or half green half dark or light. what i am trying to say pleking is truth if i were to tell you that it 128 or 200 id be under impression two diff species . i under impression both 128 200low fin are same so i can not tell you what you have well if had to id say you have both your pic is a perfect example why i think both are same it certainly would be wild caught as no1 i know of breed them au now for a specimen like that to be wild caught is strong evidence these are cross breeding or have always been the one specimen. look measure it for me and some vent shots if male i happy to swap subs or jst cash can not remember what you want to do pm me again that is if we can confirm its male first plz get back to me asap i pmd my mobile in case

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
128 - blue phantoms are darker green with blue tinges to their fins... how blue varies within the species

200 - green phantoms are a lighter shade of green and in some examples have slight yellow tinge to the fin edges

general rule of thumb is spots continue full length in 128's and often has a few spots on tail also. the green phantom generally has less spots on the rear of the fish....

i have owned blues and greens and the odd fish will differ... i had one green phantom with spots all the way to its tail... and a blue phantom that has its spots thin out towards back end of the fish like most green phantoms do... but when you have both varieties together its easy to differentiate...

spot numbers vary on leopards greatly - just the same way it does on fish...

i believe the blue phantoms and green phantoms are definitely related.... many years ago a group of greens went downstream and their colour evolved over many years into what we call the blue phantom... so blues described as hemiancistrus and the greens baryancistrus...

but how far do you want to relate fish - all L-numbers had to be descended from same fish at some point in their evolution... :)

YAL05T

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 22, 2009
North of Sydney
Could not agree more Johnno. There are some schools of thought that believe the 128 is a Northern colour variant of the H. subviridis. I tend to subscribe to this train of thought myself, I would love to see the results of some genetic surveys to see how close to the mark this theory is.

fishy

Dec 18, 2011
sydney
128 - blue phantoms are darker green with blue tinges to their fins... how blue varies within the species

200 - green phantoms are a lighter shade of green and in some examples have slight yellow tinge to the fin edges

general rule of thumb is spots continue full length in 128's and often has a few spots on tail also. the green phantom generally has less spots on the rear of the fish....

i have owned blues and greens and the odd fish will differ... i had one green phantom with spots all the way to its tail... and a blue phantom that has its spots thin out towards back end of the fish like most green phantoms do... but when you have both varieties together its easy to differentiate...

spot numbers vary on leopards greatly - just the same way it does on fish...

i believe the blue phantoms and green phantoms are definitely related.... many years ago a group of greens went downstream and their colour evolved over many years into what we call the blue phantom... so blues described as hemiancistrus and the greens baryancistrus...

but how far do you want to relate fish - all L-numbers had to be descended from same fish at some point in their evolution... :)
nice we thinking same on most except with highfin i yet to decide . these have not been studied by scientists so we do not know what group went were or if was decade ago 50 years 100 etc only god knows . last i did research on green body most info says green body is 200 and blue is 128 so we can not go off info peoples ideas or guess as i can not find any scientific info on them yet to be researched so how can any one state anything without scientific info we do not even know were they sourced do we really trust the collectors $$$

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
planetcatfish has a fair bit of information on 128,200,200a perhaps you should have a good read of their information... and then theres a handful of good german websites that also have more info in depth on these fish... you'll prob need a german buddy to translate it properly - i tried using a translator off the net to convert it and a lot didnt make sense.... made more sense after my mate told me :thumbup:

every phantom i have owned or ever seen in the flesh was easily distinguished as one or the other....

heres your hifin comparrison - easy to see the difference now

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/image.php?species=baryancistrus_demantoides&image_id=8309

Nat's Fish

Nov 14, 2011
So L200 can have spots all the way down the tail? That's good to know and makes me a happy chappy :)

fishy

Dec 18, 2011
sydney
hi

planetcatfish has a fair bit of information on 128,200,200a perhaps you should have a good read of their information... and then theres a handful of good german websites that also have more info in depth on these fish... you'll prob need a german buddy to translate it properly - i tried using a translator off the net to convert it and a lot didnt make sense.... made more sense after my mate told me :thumbup:

every phantom i have owned or ever seen in the flesh was easily distinguished as one or the other....

heres your hifin comparrison - easy to see the difference now

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/image.php?species=baryancistrus_demantoides&image_id=8309
as stated did research most say green colour half spot is 200 and blue colour full spot is 128 note none state there are full spot 200s or less spot 128 sounds like have to own them to know . just ask your self if they cross breed ok some will look 200 and some will look 128 then you have some in between both colour and this pic perfect example of it green head and body just shadow making darker but fins white blue were the question mark is all my 128 body darker not green again no forum states 128 can have green body unless u can read german . i had a 5cm 128 full spot grew it years now and almost half spot you can notice spot or spots fading as become adult some loose more than others some loose none also colour can stay or decrease 75% of my 128s lost there white band on tail also 75% of my 200s lost there white yellowish band on tail

Status
Not open for further replies.