Panaque ID?

dirt

Feb 10, 2010
Norway
L-???

I have got the picture from a company/fisherman that im importing fish from, and he says it is xxx, but im not sure. Thought i should get some opninions from you guys before i reveal my information :whistle:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Spect the panaque guys will be on at some point, they will be able to help hopefully.

Apr 27, 2009
Middle Earth
<3:drool:<3
Wow stunner, thats a beauty, i'm no expert but judging by the shape of the tail and the colouration i'd say thats a full grown Shampupa L418
if i recall there are 2 distinct colourations of the Gold Trim, Green or Brown, so i would say thats a lovely shampupa brown, hopefully like Lisa says, the Panaque Gods will arrive soon and put me right :thumbup:

Oscar300

May 8, 2009
North east uk
Sorry I cant ID him, is a stunner though. I would guess LDA65 because of the size but the shape doesnt look right I supose. Just looks like a pumped up version of my gold line tbh lol. The red tinge on the finnage is interesting......

Come on then, what do the exporters say?!?!?!

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
What a stunner!
Like Oscar says, the size of it makes it look like an LDA65, but thats probably because we dont see many other sp at this size, and like Terry got hip kissed says, the coloration to the tips could point to L418:dk:
either way, so long as you have a massive tank, would be a real treasure to keep

dirt

Feb 10, 2010
Norway
Im not sure the exporter know for sure himself. But mentioned L-418.
However, its from Colombia..
Im getting back to you with the location where it was caught when i have talked to him.

Anyway, they are getting out into the jungle to find more of them for me - but at smaller sizes. I`m really curious about this..

Apr 27, 2009
Middle Earth
In relation to size, it does look fairly big and Akon did mention about specimens getting bigger, but i would put a lot of its size down to perspective, the camera angle, closeness ect, it looks big compared to the hand holding it, but if you note the size of the thumb, i'd say thats more likely a young lad holding it than an adult :dk:

dirt

Feb 10, 2010
Norway
Here is another one from the same place:

I have more pics of the first Plec, just have to upload them to my site first. Try to do it now.

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Im sure Ive seen this specimen from Alan/Silverdub. Ive been told that Peru Green have gold/yellow margin and a flat caudal (not forked), but these features conflict with the country of origin. Colombia and Peru share a border, so mixing of the 2 can occur. So it could be either, based on country of origin im plumping for L191, because IMO the distinguishing features are too subjective.

Im fairly sure its not LDA65, they are more angular and less rounded, I think they have lower profile heads too. Seeing the 2 side by side at Pier it was easy to distinguish.

Dirt, are you thinking of getting either of these? Any more pics of the uber Panaque?

dirt

Feb 10, 2010
Norway
matt: im not going to get one of these huge panaques, but im getting several medium/large sized, 10-20cm. L-190s, L-191s and those over stated to be L418s. Lots of others to btw ;-)

Gecko

Oct 7, 2009
Singapore
The 1st is a L418, many of them being shipped out. Had a 23" but sold off. The biggest I saw was 25"+!

My ex. The tank's width is 24".

The second one should be a L330.

Btw plecs out of water will exhibit sunken eyes.

Last edited:

Oscar300

May 8, 2009
North east uk
First off, thats a stunner Gecko<3 Interesting how fast/steap the head slopes off compared to LDA65 in the side profile.

Btw plecs out of water will exhibit sunken eyes.
I had never seen this on my fish until paying close attention recently when moving a 12" 330, they looked sunken, but just a little bit. Moving a bigger sp last weekend I see the eyes dropped further in even though belly is perfect, looking at these shots, the bigger the fish the further the eyes dissapear in.