When can I sex L144

stannyblade

Nov 5, 2009
Sheffield UK
I have been offered some L144 at about an inch in length and have accepted as they are only £3 each. Question is at what size roughly can they be sexed? and can they be sexed before bristles form?

Sorry for what maybe stupid questions to you guys but I am new to plecs only ever had common bristlies

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
L144 are smaller than commons bns as adults. I reckon 2.5-3 inches before you can safely sex them, plus if you had a number of males, the most dominant male would produce bristles much faster than the others, which could be mistaken for females. They can't be sexed before bristles form afaik.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
well I was told (never tried it) that if you feel the noses the males are soft and the femles more like sand paper. if that helps

danielryan

Sep 7, 2009
wallington
its true irene, i did this when i picked up my 183's for pier.

and as they have grown out, my suspisions were correct :)

although i know my spelling isnt.

graham26

Jul 15, 2009
Berkshire
I find it to be about 18 months too sex them as the females i have are normally quite bristly as well & from 12 months onwards the males start to get the full head bristles where as the females only have bristling around the mouth

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
well I was told (never tried it) that if you feel the noses the males are soft and the femles more like sand paper. if that helps
:yes: Iv herd the same, due to the protrusions from the snout of the male they can be differentiated at a young age.