What are these?

GrubbyGirl

Nov 18, 2009
Kent
I would like some views as to what you L number you think these fish may be? These are all supposed to be the same L number. I wont tell you what they are being sold as........see if you can guess? Oh, and how much would you pay for one?

Last edited:

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
Sorry I can't help u but man they are nice . The first pic white n brown they r nice

Is it just that pic cause the other pics there kinda black ?

GrubbyGirl

Nov 18, 2009
Kent
I think it's the quality of the picture, they are all supposed to be black and white. Yes they are very nice fish indeed......interested to know what you would pay for one of them?

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
i would hazard a guess that they are being sold as L250, but i recently read a post from Heiko Bleher where he said he doesn't recognise a plec named L250, more that it was simply Hypancistrus sp. (catch location?).
i think the issues of the i.d problems can only be resolved by using this method, there are certain hypans that are easily identifiable, L046, L260, L201 etc, but get into the "scribble plec" mess and you're asking for trouble.

all i could suggest is to anyone thinking of buying, is forget any L number, decide whether you like the plec enough to spend the money on them.
so for me, the plec in the pic is worth as much as an F1 zeb

GrubbyGirl

Nov 18, 2009
Kent
As Mac said there are only a few basic hypans, striped, spotted etc and there rest all come from those. When they are all caught from the same river there has to be some interbreeding.

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
never seen those pics before:D

They are without doubt Scribble plec. As for price well its what you think counts rather than what a tight fisted person like me would pay for them. I would be very reluctant to pay more than a 100 for any hypan including a zeb.
If knowone can 100% confirm an ID or even catch location/History then IMO they arent as valuable as say queen arabesque or 174

Cheers

thegeeman

Marsbar

Apr 26, 2009
Lincoln
Nice looking fish all the same, I would agree with Gee they are not going to be worth more than say a zebra whatever they are.
Are they the fish being sold as L236 on AC, as Irene said they do look different fish, although my L066 used to throw up some unusual marking from time to time

Last edited:

GrubbyGirl

Nov 18, 2009
Kent
Nice looking fish all the same, I would agree with Gee they are not going to be worth more than say a zebra whatever they are.
Are they the fish being sold as L236 on AC, as Irene said they do look different fish, although my L066 used to throw up some unusual marking from time to time
Yes tyhey do look like those 236's on AC.....but they are not being sold as 236's

GrubbyGirl

Nov 18, 2009
Kent
OK, let me put you out of your misery. Scatz you are right they are being sold as L250's (advertised on here on oz and other country's classifieds) at a grand price of £3,000 or $4,500 US each.

mike0605

Nov 2, 2009
Hoylake (Wirral)
WOW

Ill have 20 LOL

I have always liked the look of l250 since I seen them all that time ago on pleco planet.

Me thinks this is someone trying to cash in on what the majority of us think is only a myth.

I think the only way to establish an exact new species would be to be at the same collection point for a long period and examin each specimin caught and seperate them. I am sure this is the last thing on the collectors minds though they are more likely to think the more they can collect the more they can sell.

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Well if they are only 3-4cm and tank bred the buyer should be able to show you pics of the parents. At least then you will know they are not hybrids:)

Cheers

thegeeman

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Well if they are only 3-4cm and tank bred the buyer should be able to show you pics of the parents. At least then you will know they are not hybrids:)

Cheers

thegeeman
Aye and at that price, I don't see how any seller would grumble about it.

ryannxs

May 3, 2009
london
guarentee its a hybrid and thats why you cant get info on the parents. or the offspring of somethimg common like 333s but just happen to be a bit of a mutant