Can anyone ID this please?

Debs

May 16, 2010
Andover
Wow that was quick! Thank you very much.
'He' is sharing a tank with several other plecs but is giving the common plec a hard time which is about twice his size. Don't know if it's aggression? But keeps landing on the head of the common plec (Godzilla!!) who now has a few scales missing. They have plenty of hiding places but we wonder if we need to separate them or just provide a bigger/better piece of bog wood for them (although to be fair they pieces are quite large anyway) Usually they hide under their own bog woods but Brain at least once a day will go to Godzillas bog wood and latch on to his head. What do you advise please?

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
its worth trying to re-arrange the tank a bit, force them to find new areas to claim as their territories

Debs

May 16, 2010
Andover
We have already done this. I'm guessing then that maybe we'll need to rehome Brian :-(
But thanks very much for your advise x

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Its definitely in the Hypostomus cochliodon group like Scats said but I dont think its the Hypostomus cochliodon as they have black spots over their body. Yours looks almost exactly like mine does, which is a Hypostomus (cochliodon) sp. 'Rio Paraguay'. Im basing this on Ingo Seidel's book more than Planet Catfish.