l318

henk68

Dec 5, 2009
Brisbane
what is it?

What is this fish? This fish is the same fish as the one pictured in my avatar, The head starts to turn grey first the moves down the body to the tail.

Attachments

Last edited:

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Compta's. so what do you want them to be??. They are not 318 thats for sure.

All of the pics i can see in your gallery (not including blurred) are of IMO compta

Cheers

thegeeman

fishheadz

Apr 25, 2009
Yorkshire. UK
SO is this the mouth of a Peckoltia? Look at the eyes and the fish are Gray. It has the same eyes as L260 and same the mouth

The older they get the more grey they go. They use to have more stripes
Peckoltia compta

Although the mouths are similar the dentition (teeth) are different. Here you can clearly see the mouth/dentition difference.

Attachments

Last edited:

henk68

Dec 5, 2009
Brisbane
thanks

Thanks for all your help it has really helped me with the Id of the fish.

I have L134 compta and these fish ?????? they are so different it is ridiculous so how they can be the same fish really boggles the mind. The dentition is Hypan the eyes say hypan but everybody says compta peckoltia so how about HYPAN COMPTA AUSTRALIANOUS PECKOLTIAOUS L50000

Thanks again for your expert advice it is appreciated

Last edited:

henk68

Dec 5, 2009
Brisbane
????????????

are these pictures clear enough not blurry ??????????????????????? Are they compta or Hypan???????????? They where banded as pictured in my avatar over a year ago. The grey bands have started to spread across the body and head over the last year. What ever they are I think they are very nice fish. Maybe a flathead or a bream. I have researched all the places I can and I am sorry they do not match the compta In the aqualog there are 11 different pictures of different compta variations and not one is close.
What about LDA18 marble spots peckoltia?

Henk

Attachments

Last edited:

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
Still look like compta to me Henk. They vary loads on pattern and colour. The picture to the right looks indentical to my male from my breeding group.

I will try to find some pics for you

Cheers

thegeeman

L134PLECO

Jun 19, 2009
Romford Essex
Hi There

I have 3 of the same pattened fish as you, i am sure they are L134. i first thought they where L333 but they deffently L134 or a variant.
Cheers

Last edited:

fishheadz

Apr 25, 2009
Yorkshire. UK
are these pictures clear enough not blurry ??????????????????????? Are they compta or Hypan???????????? They where banded as pictured in my avatar over a year ago. The grey bands have started to spread across the body and head over the last year. What ever they are I think they are very nice fish. Maybe a flathead or a bream. I have researched all the places I can and I am sorry they do not match the compta In the aqualog there are 11 different pictures of different compta variations and not one is close.
What about LDA18 marble spots peckoltia?

Henk
They are Peckoltia compta (L134). As geeman has stated,they do vary a lot in colour and pattern. This also depends on catchment area ie. Rio Tapajos & Rio Jamanxim. The banding on them changes very much as they age, the older they get the closer/narrower the stripes become.
Definately Peckoltia compta imo and nothing else.

Cheers
Steve

henk68

Dec 5, 2009
Brisbane
ok

Now I can see what they are. Thankyou all for helping me out. Sorry for being ignorant. I guess it is hard to accept that i was ripped of and misled when I purchased them. Still they are a very nice fish. What sex are they? go by the hair? would it be ok to breed with normal $134? or should I just spawn them with the same pattern ?

Thanks again

Last edited:

fishheadz

Apr 25, 2009
Yorkshire. UK
Hi Henk

Taken from http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=213).%EC%E7%F0%F9%F2 Males develop small teeth-like odontodes which adorn the leading pectoral fin rays and the back half of the fishes body. Females remain unadorned and have a wider girth across the body most evident when the area just behind the pectoral fins is viewed from above.

Re: breeding..they've all recently been classified as peckoltia compta, the L Number 134 is no longer relevent. If you have nicely marked fish that you would like to improve, for example more spots than stripes, then by all means try selective breeding from fishes of the same colour/pattern form, although as they are all varied in colour/pattern amongst individuals from the catchment locales anyway, i see nothing wrong with pairing them with other compta, let's face it..they are all the same species :)

Regards

Steve

henk68

Dec 5, 2009
Brisbane
thanks

Thanks for that advice appreciated. By the looks of my fish on the first page would you say 2m and 3f?

Henk

Last edited:

fishheadz

Apr 25, 2009
Yorkshire. UK
Thanks for that advice appreciated. By the looks of my fish on the first page would you say 2m and 3f?

Henk
Hard to tell to be honest. Looks like 2 possibe females to me but i'm by no means an expert at sexing. Sexing becomes easier when they are in peak condition and ready to breed. The females really fatten up.
I have 4 of these myself and can't tell the difference unless i'm practically on top of them :D. I know i have at least 1 male though because they've spawned and produced young. Unfortunately i lost a lot of fry from the first spawn due to bloat :(

Here's a pic of mine and the set-up taken february this year. I had trouble spawning them so i added some albino corys to their tank. The corys spawned and shortly after that the peckoltia spawned, so i believe the cory spawn encouraged the peckoltias to spawn.

Regards
Steve

Attachments

Last edited:

henk68

Dec 5, 2009
Brisbane
howdy

Me again some questions my L134 compta in this add are 2 and a half years old. They are 8 to 10cm t/l the males have hair the females none. I have a friends\ whose compta the other day the same age but they are twice the size. They use to be mine.

Could they be a dwarf version?

What is the general size for L134 at two and a half years?

Off topic
Do all royal whiptails get red fins some of mine that I spawned have redish fins and red lines through their fins?

Could it the food they are eating?

Attachments

henk68

Dec 5, 2009
Brisbane
L134

The fish are fed well and are in a 200L tank with very good filtration and lots of matrix and Purigen. The water would be crystal clear and they are fed at night time when the lights go out. Old food is cleaned as soon as lights come on. It is also my grow tank for my Royal Whiptail fry and they grow real quick.

filtration= 2000 l/h plus a 500 l/h internal filled with Purigen water changes at the least once a week 30%

They eat a variety of high quality foods including carnivore tabs some veg and frozen foods. Hikari/Sera

The L205 which are a few months old are nearly the same size as the L134 (male) 2 & 1/2 years old in the same tank. The L205 will be moved when at a spawning age to avoid Hybrids being born. The L134 are so tiny compared to others at same age.

What would the last fish be?:dk: I have been told a few different names. L129,L316 and L270 which are normally have a yellowish tinge but there is also a Black and white version of the same L270. I think L316 but I am not sure:dk: This fish would be the same age as the l134? and the same size.