sexing pseuda's from the side profile?

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
i know its not normally the best profile to sex plecs from, but is it possible to sex pseuda's from the side profile?
I gather that the fins show a difference between the sexes, but i'm not sure how relaible a method this is.
if anyone feels its possible, please have a crack at these for me:
very chunky 114

this is a poor pic, so i apologise, but this one to me has a much larger fin, more like a hi-fin (or of course i could just be imagining it), this is also a much more slender fish

lastly is one of my L65 (has been in the wars recently)

so what are all of your thought?

Rabbit

Retired Staff
Apr 21, 2009
Auckland, NZ
IMHO 1st 114 Male 2nd Female (head shape and body shape)
How bigs the 65? at a glance it looks female (rather gravid in the stomach/chest, head rather short and not as "flat" as i would expect in a male).
HTH
Any signs as yet? Gecko may have a more experienced eye then me for these.

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
IMHO 1st 114 Male 2nd Female (head shape and body shape)
How bigs the 65? at a glance it looks female (rather gravid in the stomach/chest, head rather short and not as "flat" as i would expect in a male).
HTH
Any signs as yet? Gecko may have a more experienced eye then me for these.
interesting....
i was leaning more toward the first L114 being female because its much fatter, smaller dorsal and no whiskers, but one thing i've learnt is that pseuda's aren't as easy to sex as a lot of others are.
:dk:

Gecko

Oct 7, 2009
Singapore
It's really very hard to sex pseudas. Big dorsal and more slender body profile seems to be masculine trait. Venting still the best way even then I need 2 of the same size of different sex to tell, still learning.

One key observation to share is that the female, when turned over, will use her anal or pelvic fins to cup the papilla, while the male does not. Not fool proof just what I saw so far with L25 and L96/160.

plecoaddict

Apr 23, 2009
Michigan
interesting....
i was leaning more toward the first L114 being female because its much fatter, smaller dorsal and no whiskers, but one thing i've learnt is that pseuda's aren't as easy to sex as a lot of others are.
I was thinking the same...... I have a pair of L24's (just got the male) that are about the same size. Till I got the two of them togeather I wasn't 100% on the one being female....but after they are togeather, it's easy to see. Both have the spikes and all but females don't have as much and body shape on the males are a lot more slender. I don't have any pics of my female right now but I'll see if I can get some....
here's a link to the male L24 that I have.. http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=30592&p=197731#p197731

ryannxs

May 3, 2009
london
interesting....
i agree scatz

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
They only difference I can see between mine is that the female looks like she has swallowed a tennis ball and also has a slighty smaller dorsal. Also the male has some huge spikes down the flanks where as the female has some but not as aggressive looking

Put them all in a tank together on their own and you will probably be able to tell whats what after a period of conditioning

Cheers

thegeeman

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
dunno bout the side profile but from above its relatively easy....

with decent size fish around 20cm the male has a much bigger head and its very noticeable... and female has a huge stomach and abdomin.... the male is very sleek.... as far as odontodes go theres not a huge difference but the females appear to be smaller...

supposidly the more red and bigger the dorsal fin - indicates male... but after looking at a mates colony i wouldnt agree with this 100%