L-114???

GEV83

Oct 2, 2010
LA, County
Ok so I was looking around and I remember seeing that there are two different variations of this pleco but some consider it 1 species where others say there are 2 different species. Can anyone shed some light on which one I have? I got it labledas L114 WC from brazil.

GEV83

Oct 2, 2010
LA, County
Ok just making sure didnt want to have it labeled wrong. Those pics are the only pics Ive been able to take since I got it. The lil guy is always trying to hide. Sometimes I worry and think maybe it died.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Most references equate Pseudacanthicus leopardus as L114. However its thought that the true Pseudacanthicus leopardus is the fish sold as L600 (not an actual L# but rather a marketing/common name). L114 is refered to as Pseudacanthicus cf .leopardus, meaning similar to but not yet verified to be the same species as Pseudacanthicus leopardus. To confuse matters there has been a breeding between the two.

At that size I don't think you can differentiate between the L114 & L600. However L114 is the much more common fish so probably L114.

GEV83

Oct 2, 2010
LA, County
Nice 114 <3
Thanks geeman lol.

Most references equate Pseudacanthicus leopardus as L114. However its thought that the true Pseudacanthicus leopardus is the fish sold as L600 (not an actual L# but rather a marketing/common name). L114 is refered to as Pseudacanthicus cf .leopardus, meaning similar to but not yet verified to be the same species as Pseudacanthicus leopardus. To confuse matters there has been a breeding between the two.

At that size I don't think you can differentiate between the L114 & L600. However L114 is the much more common fish so probably L114.
Oh ok well mine isn't a cross since well it was WC. Was thinking of getting more to try to breed em later on in there life but not sure Ide have a proper size tank for a pair when the time comes. Although at the rate this guy is growing itll be a few years before I see it full grown.

GEV83

Oct 2, 2010
LA, County
Thanks. I originally had it with my Jack Dempsey's but they had bit off its tail. Luckily though his tail grew back. I like the lil guy just wish he didnt hide so much.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Oh ok well mine isn't a cross since well it was WC. Was thinking of getting more to try to breed em later on in there life but not sure Ide have a proper size tank for a pair when the time comes. Although at the rate this guy is growing itll be a few years before I see it full grown.
Wasn't saying it was a cross but rather the lines get blurred a bit between L600 & L114 being different species as they can be crossed. Thus far there have been reports of L114xL114, L600xL600 & L114xL600. In the case of the L114xL600 there were members of each sex of each type in the tank & the individuals chose to "cross" breed which the owner uses as evidence that the two types are actually the same species.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
That makes no sense though. Do the 2 L# come from different locations or are they both from the same origin???
The type local for the two are different but that does not mean they can't be the same species. There are many plecs that have more than one L# assigned as they were caught at different locations, assigned an L# then determined to be the same species. Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps, for example, is assigned L083 & L165. The distribution range from PC is "Widespread throughout the Peruvian & Brazilian Amazon", thus you could catch Gibbys in the Peruvian & Brazilian Amazons. Another quirky one is Leporacanthicus galaxias (Vampires) and their many forms. PC lists 6 variations with 4 different L#s.

GEV83

Oct 2, 2010
LA, County
Ok I understand that but say they are different species wouldnt a collection point be a sure fire way to ID which one you got? I've noticed alot of pleco's have multiple L#'s Like P. gibbiceps as you stated and even P. joselimaianus. Thats what im getting at. From what I read when there adults there are several differences between the two (L114 and L600).

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Ok I understand that but say they are different species wouldnt a collection point be a sure fire way to ID which one you got? I've noticed alot of pleco's have multiple L#'s Like P. gibbiceps as you stated and even P. joselimaianus. Thats what im getting at. From what I read when there adults there are several differences between the two (L114 and L600).
Not if the natural ranges overlap one another. The type specimen for P.leopardus (L600) is from Guyana, majority of L114 come from Rio Demini in Brazil, however they're both found in tributaries of the Rio Negro in Brazil. Under normal circumstances, catch local is one of the better ways to id fish. You do need to be aware of the method by which fish are collected & sold on the Amazon however. Natives catch fish and transport them downstream to awaiting vessels where they are sold and placed into captivity with other fish purchased in a similar method. These vessels then sail further downstream, collecting fish along the way, until the reach one of the major export hubs on the Amazon. Here they are collected at exporters until shipped out. Thus, it can be very difficult to get an accurate catch local. Some fish can even be caught in one country & exported from another.

L114 & L600 do have distiguishing features when adults, but only as adults. Thus the reason I posted in my original post that at the size of you fish it can be impossible to distinguish between L600 & L114. If I were a betting man however I'd say I was about 99% sure its L114.

Last edited:

GEV83

Oct 2, 2010
LA, County
So your not a betting man??? LOL. Ok thats ummm makes alot of sense but never came to mind. I never stopped to think bout all that goes into importing fish. I did think bout the overlaping but thought ide leave it out lol. Hmmm guess time will tell if its truely L114. How long does it take for them to get full grown anyways???

GEV83

Oct 2, 2010
LA, County
Thanks guys. I may sell it once its bigger though. I kinda bought this guy on inpulse and as it stands right now Im over stocked and can only house him till it outgrow my 20H tank. Being 2" he has plenty of room but I think at 4-5" it will have to go.