Xingu Royal?

rian

Apr 24, 2010
Hawaii
My LFS said they have seen xingu royals available and so i got a picture. However i'm not 100% sure just by seeing a body shot. I know if i were to see the mouth it'd be an easy id but this is the only pic he got.

rian

Apr 24, 2010
Hawaii
Thanks for the fast reply
thats what i was thinking but there seems to be really little red but i guess that could be a result of it being out of the water.
Also is the lack of black on the body a result of it being so young?

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Also is the lack of black on the body a result of it being so young?
Lack of black? Black lines on a cream base are typical for these. That fish is definitely L027 'Xingu'/LDA063.

What's the price? These are very few and far between nowadays.

rian

Apr 24, 2010
Hawaii
The owner quoted me at around 150-180USD but i'm thinking it'll be closer to 180.
Hopefully this fish or a similar one will be coming in sometime this month or January and i'll post pics for you guys when i pick it up. Thanks Matt for reassuring me.

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
I think that the price is a bit high but not silly. I've looked into the getting these from a US seller, they were $100 per fish but since I'm in the UK it would be nearer double after shipping, handling etc.

If you want a similar alternative then the 'standard' royal, Panaque nigrolineatus/L190 is essentially the same and a fraction of the cost. But if you are like me, being 'essentially the same' isn't enough.

rian

Apr 24, 2010
Hawaii
Same here essentially is not the same. I do have 2 L190's but their both small Under 4". Yet i want to be more into the more exquisite side of Panaque. $100 a fish is a really good deal but i would suffer the same problems since S&H to Hawaii is ridiculous. To top it off there's a $20 one time importation fee making it about the same price.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Haven't seen these in a while here. As Matt said, definietly 'Xingu'.
Bought mine a couple years ago for $35 at that size.