Sexing needed L144, L002 & L204

Davidefc

Feb 19, 2010
Liverpool
I have had a tiro of L144 for acouple months now what I have been growing on and fattening up, I was sold them as a tiro 2 Female 1 Male, is it true?

Also recently I have picked up 2 pairs of L002 and L204, are they pairs?

Regards
Dave

JoePlec

Aug 27, 2010
Rainhill, Merseyside
"I have had a tiro of L144 for acouple months now what I have been growing on and fattening up, I was sold them as a tiro 2 Female 1 Male, is it true?"

Alright Dave has the male of the trio got no visible snout bristles? Id say that the large one is male and the small one is male. Middle one being female.

"Also recently I have picked up 2 pairs of L002 and L204, are they pairs?"

I was there when these fish were purchased and sexed. The L204 were bought from pier aquatics and were selected from a tank of around a dozen, the young lad sexed them and has been spot on for me everytime so i have no reason to doubt the sex.
The L002 where from Maidenhead Widnes and Mike sexed them. I have to say that in both cases the salesmen, myself and John the previous owner were all in agreement on the sexes of the fish in question.

Last edited:

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
i see no harm in showing off your fish and get feed back on them!

nice fish mate hope you get them breeding then you truely will know 100%

regards
Foti

L273

Oct 5, 2010
worcester, UK
Personally the L204 to me look a bit small. if they are of age then they are definately not Male and Female. most likely two females, the males have a vast number of odontodes (spelling) on the tail and pectoral fins. i have a small male and he has more bush than a russian women. :yes:

this just being my judgement of course.

Davidefc

Feb 19, 2010
Liverpool
U have a pair of L002

Bn,s 2 small
Flash not a clue
Thanks, just need to kick start breeding them now! any tips on how to get them going?

"I have had a tiro of L144 for acouple months now what I have been growing on and fattening up, I was sold them as a tiro 2 Female 1 Male, is it true?"

Alright Dave has the male of the trio got no visible snout bristles? Id say that the large one is male and the small one is male. Middle one being female.

"Also recently I have picked up 2 pairs of L002 and L204, are they pairs?"

I was there when these fish were purchased and sexed. The L204 were bought from pier aquatics and were selected from a tank of around a dozen, the young lad sexed them and has been spot on for me everytime so i have no reason to doubt the sex.
The L002 where from Maidenhead Widnes and Mike sexed them. I have to say that in both cases the salesmen, myself and John the previous owner were all in agreement on the sexes of the fish in question.
Alright Joe, thanks, the largest has snout bristles, the smaller 2 havent. How far off breeding size do you think they are?

I was just getting confirmation, I thought the L002 were a pair, but the L204 are small, last year I had L204 nearly twice the size of these and sexing was still difficult at pier. Yes I know Mike, there is one L002 left which has been brought back in, do you know anything about it? if its female Ile pick it up!

i see no harm in showing off your fish and get feed back on them!

nice fish mate hope you get them breeding then you truely will know 100%

regards
Foti
Thanks Foti!

Personally the L204 to me look a bit small. if they are of age then they are definately not Male and Female. most likely two females, the males have a vast number of odontodes (spelling) on the tail and pectoral fins. i have a small male and he has more bush than a russian women. :yes:

this just being my judgement of course.
LOL nice way of putting it, The L204 are small, I will be getting atleast 4 more anyway so I should have a mixture of sexes in the end.

Regards
Dave

JoePlec

Aug 27, 2010
Rainhill, Merseyside
Never knew there was another L002 mate. Worth a look... As far as i can remember your male is a bit hairy so its worth netting the other to compare.

The L144.. i have had them breed at 2.5inch.. They start breeding before normal bristlenose in my experiance. Id put a nice tight cave in with them.

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
the b/n to me look like male and 2 females....
i have had common and albino b/n breeding at 5cm... so IMO i think they look big enough to try and spawn....

dunno bout the 204's look too small to me.... and definitely no hairy bum on either of them.... have a look at the following pics of some of my adult 204's

you can guess the males....
another thing makes me think they are too small and thats the unbroken yellow lines on the fish... as they get to adults the yellow stripes become broken and they dont look as pretty as the younger ones...

as for 002.... i would maybe say a pair.... but by no means certain...

JoePlec

Aug 27, 2010
Rainhill, Merseyside
I did actually say 1m 2f at first and then edited my post.....looking at the picture more i think the small one is male. But thats just my opinion, i guess you just get a feeling on some fish

Run your finger down the tails of the 204's once 5cm plus they will catch the skin ( not 100 per cent ) this will be hair before it forms, some females will have hair in some so not 100 per cent to sex.

At 7.5cm feed up and they should show there sex,within a short time frame.

The smaller of the trio may be to small yet but appears female.

Sexing 002 has been shown else where on here and is quite east refer other post.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
i think the are probably right especially as selected int the hand and can see genitailia etc. BNs can be sexed before they have bristles , if you have experience, by head shape, mouth and skin feel on the nose. cant see the head properly in the pics, but the larger looks male