5 x Wild Caught L46 Zebra Pleco's to sex please

foti

Apr 20, 2010
Sydney AUS 2206
I thought there was a ban on wild caught zebra's?:dk:
so did i ?

but i would have to say that imo they are not as they all look exactly the same !
same age same size same..? lol

if they are they are if there not there not just dont pay more because they are telling you that they are wildcaught! pay breeders rates!

good luck with these i do hope there is a female in that bunch if not just source it from another breeder!

J

jamous91

i would look at them carefully and see which one seem to like each other ( this has worked with me in the past with whiptails and other fish) just research them tht what i do plus i think he is lieing about them being wild caught because the brazilian goverment put a ban on them been taken from the country

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
wild caught.....captive bred...... it doesn't matter, this thread was about sexing, nothing else!!

i dont blame you for not buying them mate, they looked to be a bit of a gamble health wise, and seeing as they aren't properly sexable, not worth the risk IMO

VickiandKev

Jan 27, 2010
North London
so did i ?

but i would have to say that imo they are not as they all look exactly the same !
same age same size same..? lol

if they are they are if there not there not just dont pay more because they are telling you that they are wildcaught! pay breeders rates!

good luck with these i do hope there is a female in that bunch if not just source it from another breeder!
I totally agree that's why I was asking. Some many people claim to have wild caught zebs its unreal. Like foti said don't pay too much because they are claiming they are wild caught. If you get better pics I will give it ago telling if they are or not.

I don't get why people are so intent on selling wild caught I could understand years ago when they hadn't really been bred much but they are everywhere now and the price should not be so high for them. They should be expensive because the are lovely fish but not as much as some people are charging.

good luck hope you get a girly! :)

Jacqueline

Jan 19, 2011
Holland
These fish don't look like adults to me. They are young fish or sub adults. There for they are hard to sex. They could also do with a bit more feeding.
When adults they are much easier to sex.

VickiandKev

Jan 27, 2010
North London
Agree with Scatz they did look a bit too thin. I know zebs aren't the mos passionate eaters but given the right nutrition they should look better than that.

Think you made the right decision not getting them though. I am sure you could get some from an importer on this site, if not I will be getting a load at some point will let you know :)

I do apologise for going off topic :( Just don't like to see people get overcharged and lied to.

Anyways good luck with finding the right zebs for you, people on here are always a great help, really is the best pleco forum if not fish forum going.

Cheers

Zebra Pleco

Retired Staff
Nov 18, 2010
Gardenstown, NE Scotland
www.zebra-plec.com
Thank you for above post, will look forward to seeing any zebs that you may get. The fish were coming froma reliable source, Francis CHein off of CheinDiscus's website. Dealt with him in the past with no problems, just think he may of got a bad batch or had no time himself to fatten them up.

JoePlec

Aug 27, 2010
Rainhill, Merseyside
i would look at them carefully and see which one seem to like each other ( this has worked with me in the past with whiptails and other fish)
Im not sure this is the way to go about sexing fish that cost hundreds and when fish are in a bucket how would you be able to tell if they "seem to like other"

Last edited: