L134 Sexing please

Rich3570

Feb 19, 2011
Exeter, Devon
Here's my 10 L134's and id appreciate anyones suggestions to the sex of these (I know 2 are juvs but they are so cute i had to include them). Generally photos show a 10p coin for scale, and I took these when i was doing a major tank refit so they were pretty stressed and much paler than usual (but it was a good opportunity to take photos). I also took them in a real hurry so the quality isn't too good, but hopefully good enough for sexing.
Thanks
Rich

Attachments

Rich3570

Feb 19, 2011
Exeter, Devon
Thanks all, my first 3 were sold to me as all females 1,8 and i think 6, and are a little larger. Whilst together they showed no interessting interactions so im guessing the sexing was correct (although i realise were in the males/ immature fem area). My newer ones are smaller and I'm looking forward to see how they grow and develop.

At the mo I'm simply enjoying having all 10 in my communal tank (having 10 means you can always see at least 3 ish, whereas having 3 meant that often it was a hunt!!!). But the long term plan will be to breed them. I would love to breed and raise some, both because i love these pretty fish but also possibly try to actually earn some money from fish (the net will still be massivly negative, but a contribution would be nice)!!

Thanks again for comms

Rich

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
glad you enjoy them. I have a colony of 8 L333 and yes you are correct you see them more and more. If you are successful in breeding the thrill is great and so cool. All the best and yes some money is also a little bonus...cheers jk :thumbup:

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
best way to identify a sure male is lots of hair, but hard to see on those pics.
being plump does not always mean female, but is good possibility. these fish IMHO are hard to sex.
look at hair on lower body of this one...

Rich3570

Feb 19, 2011
Exeter, Devon
Thanks for the replies. Irene, thats the best pic ive ever seen of the hairs on these fish (ive read about them a few times but never seen a decent pic). A couple of mine do seem to have a little hair along their back half but its only a little pubescent bum fluff in comparison to that male!!!

I thought I may have seen some trapping activity the other day, but didn't have time to really watch so could be just whishful thinking :dk: