3 Adult Wild Caught, 7 years plus L46, Can these be sexed.

Zebra Pleco

Retired Staff
Nov 18, 2010
Gardenstown, NE Scotland
www.zebra-plec.com
Hi all, continuing on from yesterday, managed to catch my 3 new Zebra Pleco's. As far as I am led to believe, they are 7 years old and wild caught. Do you agree, and can these be sexed, think fish 3 is definately a male. But the other two, forum opinions please.

Fish #1

Fish #2

Fish #3

toddy123

Nov 4, 2010
kent
i would say fish 1 and 3 are males fish 2 a possible female im not sure on the wild part but who cares 3 nice zebs there

J

jamous91

Hello Jamous,

on what basis do you think they are not wild caught ?
Would like to know ? cheers jk :thumbup:
They are the famous L46 zebra plec and there is a ban or at least it is very hard probs impossiable to get them from the wild

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
They are the famous L46 zebra plec and there is a ban or at least it is very hard probs impossiable to get them from the wild
The ban took effect in 1998 & was slow to take hold, there are still fish in captivity imported prior to this & there are today still wild-caught Zebras available through suppliers.

J

jamous91

The ban took effect in 1998 & was slow to take hold, there are still fish in captivity imported prior to this & there are today still wild-caught Zebras available through suppliers.
thanks for that :whistle: you learn somthing new everyday

toddy123

Nov 4, 2010
kent
hi jamous91 yeah your correct they are the famous l46 but i know shops that get wild caught zebs in and i know private traders that can also get them your right there is an export band on them but just remember there are always ways around everything

J

jamous91

hi jamous91 yeah your correct they are the famous l46 but i know shops that get wild caught zebs in and i know private traders that can also get them your right there is an export band on them but just remember there are always ways around everything
thats is so very true lol :whistle:

griffin

Nov 24, 2009
Australia
sexing

I would think that
1, might be female even though bit hairy but shape more likely female,
2, more male than female once again judging by shape.
3, no doubt male.
cheers.

Jacqueline

Jan 19, 2011
Holland
Yes, I agree on 3 males.
How can some one tell you that the fish are 7 years old but are wildcaught????? Did they swim next to them all this time from hatching until catching :lol:

Zebra Pleco

Retired Staff
Nov 18, 2010
Gardenstown, NE Scotland
www.zebra-plec.com
True, theres no guarantee on wild caught here. They were bought in Germany and shipped to Denmark then over to the UK. They were bought about 6 years ago as 1.5" fry, so think they must be at least 7 years old.

I have several wild caughts in my tanks, and wild caughts age for age, seem to be a lot smaller than tank breds, unsure why, but just an observation I have made.

I truely prefer tank breds over wild caughts anyhow. Don't even know why I mentioned they are wild caught as it doesn't effect my opinion on the fish, or the ability to sex them or anything.

Will have to update my profile now, 25 adults (12m 13f)

Still want more (lol) if the wife will let me.