anyone? (pic heavy)

tiffanyjayne

Jan 21, 2011
Nottingham
Right, i've got a tough job on my hands....i move house in a few days and moving 34 tanks isn't going to work so some of my fish need to go, trouble is i don't know what some of them are or whether there male or female, all are over 5 inches except 1 madusa and i've tried to take the best shots i can but bare with me i was waterchanging as i took them.

I'll start with what i believe are madusas, i've got a body shot and a head shot of each.

Attachments

tiffanyjayne

Jan 21, 2011
Nottingham
The next lot i haven't a clue what they are, i know some are bn's but a pair have tiny white spots all over them like l100's not like my peppermints, another (the large male) have orange spots all over him.

Attachments

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
The first one looks like a madusa to me m8 and a nice one at that. Does the one in your second lots of photos look kind of rusty on its fins\ skin? Pity your selling, hope they find a good home.

tiffanyjayne

Jan 21, 2011
Nottingham
Thanks, the spotty/stripey ones have defined scales but there not hairy like my male 134's or patchy like my rusty plecos...there just odd :D

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
Lol maybe you should just sell them as oddballs- i'd be interested when you put them up for sale.

tiffanyjayne

Jan 21, 2011
Nottingham
I'd like to keep 2-3 of the madusa's as they took me a very long time to get a group together and are from 4 different blood lines, 4 are 100% wild caught but the others i'm unsure.

I have tons of fish to sell some groups some individuals but i prefer to know what i'm selling as i don't want to over price them or sell them as a 'pleco' that may infact grow to 20 inches and eat tetra's :wb:

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
Lol totally understand- hopefully all the much more experienced owners will help you. Goodluck with it and hope I see those lovelys for sale in my price range. Respect to your plec's. Cole

tiffanyjayne

Jan 21, 2011
Nottingham
Right i've had the madusa's sexed as M,M,F,F,M,F,M.

The orange spotted bristlenose is claimed to be a starlight pleco L182, definatly male.

I'm still stuck on the others though.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Right i've had the madusa's sexed as M,M,F,F,M,F,M.

The orange spotted bristlenose is claimed to be a starlight pleco L182, definatly male.

I'm still stuck on the others though.
Orange Spot one would be "Orange Spot", Ancistrus sp. "Rio Ucayali", L182 has white/bluish spots.

Other looks like L075. Peckoltia sabaji.

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
who sexed the medusa's? and whixh are male/female? i've always found them hard to sex properly.

does the L75/L147 have a striped tail or do the spots continue throughout?

tiffanyjayne

Jan 21, 2011
Nottingham
I sexed the madusa's, no one else seemed to want to so just went on who had the least amount of bristles may be female.

The tails are striped on the other fish out of the 5 pictured one of them is more orange and brown than the others and it's stripey all over, no spots.

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
I sexed the madusa's, no one else seemed to want to so just went on who had the least amount of bristles may be female.

The tails are striped on the other fish out of the 5 pictured one of them is more orange and brown than the others and it's stripey all over, no spots.
lol, i dont blame them for not wanting to guess, they aren't at all easy to tell, handsome brutes either way.

If the tails are striped, then they are indeed 147's

tiffanyjayne

Jan 21, 2011
Nottingham
Lorne, i googled l182 and the first to come up had orange spots all over the body.

Thank you scatz, so it's just the pair of black with tiny white spots bn's and the orange/brown thing to sort out.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Sorry got a better look, didn't realize (& didn't read well) that the first two posts are of differnet fish. Based on the size & the density of spotting i'll say its not 'Rio Ucayali' but rather something else.