8 scribbles for id

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
I have a group of 8 fish here, bought from 2 different sources a 5 and a 3. The two lots seem to have different tails, some very pointed and some not so :dk: They are 3-3.5" long and 2 years old

Me and Marcel have been trying to get the best shots of them for 2 hours so hope ids and sexes if possible can be made :-D

Fish 1

Fish 2

Fish 3

Fish 4

Fish 5

Fish 6

Fish 7

Fish 8

Group shot 1-6

Group shot 7-8

dOOds

Sep 26, 2009
UK
Def some nice L66 in there & poss alot of Hybrids..Dont quote me on that though..And as mac says its a bloody nightmare

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
For me they are all Varients. Once some one proves that no Hybrids are being imported then we can say that any hybrids are man made but as long as they demand big bucks people will say this is that and that is this.
Seudo sientific clap trap
Just nice fish and lovely to keep

meloizias

Mar 23, 2011
Cobham
Mmm exactly, i would say at the end of the day they are Hypans, end of, maybe we should just call them Scribble Plecs and be done with it! cause even one of those "l66" with another "l66" might end up giving you a L400 or L333 or something.

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
They were bought as L66 king tigers from two at home breeders. 3 from one source have long spikey tails, the other 5 from the other source have rather blunt tails. Can 66 have both? :dk:

Jacqueline

Jan 19, 2011
Holland
They were bought as L66 king tigers from two at home breeders. 3 from one source have long spikey tails, the other 5 from the other source have rather blunt tails. Can 66 have both? :dk:
Yes they can.
I have 4 wv adult breeding fish. These are over 10 years old. The tails are not as much forked as the fry they give. The fry have very heavy forked tails, but, some more than others. I often see that the males have a more forked tail than the females. This is my observation with fry aged between 6 months and 2 years old.
As for ID, I agree with above. It's very hard to ID hypans. Maybe after some time you will make up your mind yourself by comparing them and looking at them, study them closely :yes: Age and bodyshape will help you on your way. You do have males and females.