Pleco id's

tiffanyjayne

Jan 21, 2011
Nottingham
Right i picked up a few plecos today, images aren't great but i'm hoping someone can shed some light so i can move them to the correct tanks.

I keep most bn's so i know the one i've just picked up isn't a common brown and i keep a fair few others, the 'little pleco' looks simalar to a clown pleco but it isn't.

All are over 4inches if not bigger.

Attachments

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
i wish i knew the answer to your question as i have abreeding pair with the same amrkings...looks like a smily face!!

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
"Ronnies" - Peckoltia species, possibly vittata
"Flash" = L204
"little pleco" = Hypancistrus species, L129?
"unkown" - not sure
"wierd" - Hypostomus faveolus
"yellow" - Panaque maccus

tiffanyjayne

Jan 21, 2011
Nottingham
Yellow is 100% not a maccus, i have a group of 11 maccus and it is much larger, wider and brighter than any of them.

l129s appear very black when compared to 'little pleco'

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Yellow is 100% not a maccus, i have a group of 11 maccus and it is much larger, wider and brighter than any of them.

l129s appear very black when compared to 'little pleco'
Head pattern of "yellow" isn't very common among Panaque. Only other option I can see would be L271. Maybe give it a few days & get a shot in the aquarium for a better idea.

"Little pleco" looks a bit washed out, not unusual for a new plec in a white container, I wouldn't necessarily look at coloration as a determining factor in ID. Not that I'm right with the ID as i suck when it comes to Hypancistrus but coloration can be deceiving.

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
with your 'little pleco' as i said i have a breeding pair and lorne is right the markings are washed out (well compared to mine), they are identical to mine except the white spots get really bright backed onto a reallly brown almose black background.... dont know if that will help ne1 id them.

respects
cole

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
with your 'little pleco' as i said i have a breeding pair and lorne is right the markings are washed out (well compared to mine), they are identical to mine except the white spots get really bright backed onto a reallly brown almose black background.... dont know if that will help ne1 id them.

respects
cole
So what is yours?

tiffanyjayne

Jan 21, 2011
Nottingham
I don't think anyone can be 100% on i.ds due to the amount of different plecos out there but i appriciate you trying.

With yellow, think of a yellow highligher pen and add a dab of orange, he's the brightest pleco i've ever seen like the new l200 hi fin people are bringing in. This is what makes me think it's unlikely to be any mentioned.

Little pleco although looking washed out is a light brown when he's happy in his tank ( i've has pictures sent to me when he was in his old tank) the ones mentioned have a very dark colouration to them, his markings say maccus or similar but his sizes says not, it was suggested he or the two others may be mega clown plecos but i'm not sure as there are so many different images for them.

I think were all agreed on the flash so i can get some research done on him, and i'm happy to go with the faveolus although google doesn't offer much in the way of images and the patterns seem to change with age so i can look up info on him also.

I'm going with the scribbles being l066's for now due to there elongated bodies which my l333's don't share but i could be wrong.

The 2 peckolita's i don't think are V's as they have a very different pattern but i'll try and get some other shots of these along with little and yellow in a day or so when they've settled into the tank.

So i'm left looking up hundreds of bn's, to be honest i have two of the best i.d books and neither shed any light on him so i'll see if his colour changes over the next few days.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Can you get pics from the side?
Not an excuse but its really hard to id fimply from dorsal pics. For one its not the way we are used to seeing them & most pics are from the side. Also proportions are difficult to see based on overhead shots, as in its tough to tell how tall or laterally compressed a plec is from the top.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Attaching a pic of my adult P. vitatta, as their adult coloration canbe quite different than the "typical" P. vitatta shot.