Ancistrus for identification please

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
Received this reverse trio of L183s yesterday would like confirmation please. They were stressed on getting pics but both males are approx 6" total length and the female is approx 5" total length.

I've been told they have spawned previously which resulted in white seamed youngsters but these do not appear to have any white seams other than a couple of tips to the corners of the tails, nothing on the dorsals of any of them. The rays of the females dorsal can be seen in one shot as I'm told this can help identify them.

Female

Male 1

Male 2

elaine

Apr 25, 2009
Edinburgh
I'm not great with the camera, but here's one of mine. Male is approx 4.5'' and they all have 1 hard and 9 soft rays on the dorsal fin. You might just be able to make out the white seam, which they all have on both the dorsal fin and tail, although it is narrower than the youngsters, it is still visible.

Hope this helps a little
Elaine

Attachments

Jimmy

Mar 21, 2011
UK
:dk: It's hard to tell what they are when they are looking so stressed, but the lack of the white seam in the dorsal and tail fins makes me doubt they are L183's.

Even though their young had white seams this does not mean they are L183's, even common Bn's have white seams when young that fade with maturity.

They could be L181's or L182's if you can post some pictures when they have settled in it should be earier to identify.

Have you looked at the profile for L183's it has images of what they should look like :thumbup:

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
Thanks for the replies so far. when they are not so stressed in the tank, baring in mind they only arrived yesterday and not settled in, they are not very dark and have no white seam like the 183s on planet catfish.

billyjimbo

Sep 16, 2009
Cheshire
Hi Joanne, the males tail looks a bit chewed so you cant really tell how much white would be on it, all my L183s are around 4" or just over and are fully grown.
These look like L181s to me, I bought some from Jo a couple of years ago and they were the same as yours and also they were bigger at around 5"/6" or so. I dont think they are L182, I had a large group of those and none had white on either tail or dorsal fin.
Either way they do not appear to be what you payed for and dont look to be in very good condition.

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
just the sizes mentioned rules out L183.
But even if the sizes were wrong, these fish could not be "white seamed" BN's (L183), there is a clue in the fact that they dont have a white seam.

good luck with getting it sorted