Help sexing new Queens please !

elaine

Apr 25, 2009
Edinburgh
Hi All,

Just got three new L260's and not sure of the sexes, so if you can have a go a sexing ..... please do ! All the fish are 3''.

Attachments

Jacqueline

Jan 19, 2011
Holland
Easy, females have completely white bellies. Males are marbled :)
Males also have very long ondonthodes along the jawline.

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
Easy, females have completely white bellies. Males are marbled :)
Males also have very long ondonthodes along the jawline.
sorry jacqueline white bellies dont mean its a definite female...

i have 2 females and 3 males in a colony and they all have crystal clear white bellies.... they have bred for me many times so theres no mistaking their sexes...

i agree on the odontodes being much longer on the males....

im guessing you have
1 - female
2 - female
3 - male

but all are very well fed and look to be in good shape....

Jacqueline

Jan 19, 2011
Holland
Ok sorry for that then. It was told to me and when looking at my own fish, witch is a breeding group, it turns out to be correct. I've sext L260 that way ever since and was correct on the selected fish. But there are always odd ones out :)

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
This subject makes me think along the lines of L260 being a species that crosses over
ie a group in the wild will have this pattern and cross over with a group who don't have the plain belly.

Andrew

May 3, 2009
Renfrewshire, Scotland, UK.
I think fish 1 & 2 are female, but the third i am not sure of, it looks a bit plump in the right place, but it also looks a bit too hairy for a female, only time will tell with this one.

Nice find :clap:

elaine

Apr 25, 2009
Edinburgh
Thanks for all the replies. All I really hoped for was a mixed group, so it looks promising !

I know there are slight variations in colour relating to the collection points. The Queens collected near Santarem tend to have more golden markings compared to the black and white of Rio Tapajos. Sounds like there could be a difference in the belly too.

Andrew

May 3, 2009
Renfrewshire, Scotland, UK.
Windy
I can't see long odontal growth on the fish in Elaine's pictures, though the third fish does have quite hairy pectoral fins, which makes me unsure of it's sex.
The male queens odontal growth that used i have, was quite pronounced compared to the females, who only had a little odontal growth.

A picture of a pair i used to have;