Bristlenose markings

Fortyfoot

Apr 22, 2011
Yorkshire
I bought these as brown bristlenose, male and female which I assume they are, Are they the same type?

The male has distinct marks just below both eyes. Are these an indication of age.

Thanks,

Fortyfoot
:hi:

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Looks as though they could be the same, Common BNs. Tough to say though as there are many similar appearing BN that are simply bunched into the "Common" tag.

The marks under the eyes of the male are cheek odontodes. Both males and females have them.

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
The male looks slightly like an albino :dk: they are deffo not the same species mate, if they were they would like identical in pattern colour

Fortyfoot

Apr 22, 2011
Yorkshire
Thanks for your replies, much appreciated. Both being commons I presume that they should have a good chance of breeding them with the possibility of a albino being produced?

Fortyfoot

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
Thanks for your replies, much appreciated. Both being commons I presume that they should have a good chance of breeding them with the possibility of a albino being produced?

Fortyfoot
Both would need to carry the albino gene to produce albinos. Don't think the male has albino anything despite the coloration. There isn't intermediate stages of albino coloration, its either albino or its not.

What does the male look like when its in the tank? A lot of the coloration may be attributed to stress & being in a white container.