Sex my L129 & L340

Davidefc

Feb 19, 2010
Liverpool
Picked up some plecos from Pier Aquatics today, got them sexed by Neil, just wanted to make sure I actually have a female L129 and a sexed pair of L340.

L129:

L340:

Regards
Dave

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Hi,

What sizes are they both ?
Seems like the L129 is a female but is still very small, comapring it to the detrius. The L340 I must say what throws me off is the hairy fins on both. Hope other members can help more. cheers jk :thumbup:

Davidefc

Feb 19, 2010
Liverpool
Hi,

What sizes are they both ?
Seems like the L129 is a female but is still very small, comapring it to the detrius. The L340 I must say what throws me off is the hairy fins on both. Hope other members can help more. cheers jk :thumbup:
Hi,

They are around 6-8cm TL Yes I thought maybe I had 2 males due to the hairs but hopefully not.

I think the 340 are a pair, the chunky one is male and pointed nose thinner one is female IMHO
Thanks, Thats what Neil had sexed them as, I agree, its not unusual to have females with some hair is it so.

Thinking about picking up some more, people seem to do better with hypans when in groups.

Regards
Dave

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
dont worry about the hairs on the 340 mate, i had 10 of them and they all looked like hairy males to me, but ended up with at least 2 females so just proved that i didn't have a clue lol

Davidefc

Feb 19, 2010
Liverpool
Looks spot on...
Sorry Joe, Didnt see your post, thanks, you keeping fish again now?

dont worry about the hairs on the 340 mate, i had 10 of them and they all looked like hairy males to me, but ended up with at least 2 females so just proved that i didn't have a clue lol
Thanks, I hope to breed some, thinking on picking another 3 or so up of the L340.
The L129, is there any point having a reverse trio? I have 2 males 1 female, should I get rid of one male, I did see them fighting a little yesterday.

Dave

WhatThePlec

Jul 14, 2009
Melbourne, AU
Looks like two pairs to me, well done mate! Sometimes the hairs can throw you off a bit, but take a look at the body shape, and particularly the snout. In both your pairs the males nose is considerably more pointed, while the females appear to be broad and flat across the nose. I have found this to be a fairly reliable way of sexing L's (for those sp. that have this obvious dimorphism).