L134 male id.

ziggee

Jun 12, 2011
southampton
Hi, I have had three L134, Leopard Frog Pleco for the past two years, but had no signs of any breeding behavior, I can only assume that they are all of the same sex ( I will try and get photos listed ASAP). Can anyone point me in the direction of any very close up photos showing the difference in sexes.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Ziggee.

ziggee

Jun 12, 2011
southampton
Thanks for that M8, very useful I think I might have 3 females. Will need to keep a look out for a male, maybe put a wanted add on the forum.
Thanks again.

ziggee

Jun 12, 2011
southampton
Thanks for that M8, very useful I think I might have 3 females. Will need to keep a look out for a male, maybe put a wanted add on the forum.
Thanks again.
Have taken some photos of my three L134's looks as though I might have 2females and 1female, not too sure, maybe someone can confirm from the photos attached.

Attachments

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
First picture one at the front looks hairy to me so would go with male, others probably female :dk: nice trio if it is I wouldn't add to them.

ziggee

Jun 12, 2011
southampton
First picture one at the front looks hairy to me so would go with male, others probably female :dk: nice trio if it is I wouldn't add to them.
Thanks joby, had them for about 2 years from 1" but there seems to be no activity, maybe they were in the wrong environment. Had them in with some common BN's.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
i would also tend to agree, a trio 1M and 2F. Now with all Ls, it takes time. Leave your set up as it is and do not move stuff. they like to be settled. One big mistake which a lot of us do, is remodel the tank every 6months etc etc. In my view, just leave them alone and eventually it will happen. Remember your weekly water changes and a good diet. Cheers jk :thumbup:

ziggee

Jun 12, 2011
southampton
i would also tend to agree, a trio 1M and 2F. Now with all Ls, it takes time. Leave your set up as it is and do not move stuff. they like to be settled. One big mistake which a lot of us do, is remodel the tank every 6months etc etc. In my view, just leave them alone and eventually it will happen. Remember your weekly water changes and a good diet. Cheers jk :thumbup:
Thanks JK, your advice has been noted.:thumbup:

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
1" is usually around 3 months old and you've had them 2 years so only just coming up to sexual maturity this year I would say so let them be and hopefully they will start spawning for you :D

Marsbar

Apr 26, 2009
Lincoln
:hi:
Looks like you at least have a pair in there, they look like they need feeding up a little bit more to get them into spawning condition, I used to feed mine on prawns and hikari carnivore tablets to get them fattened up, good luck they are great fish, still one of my favourites:clap:

ziggee

Jun 12, 2011
southampton
:hi:
Looks like you at least have a pair in there, they look like they need feeding up a little bit more to get them into spawning condition, I used to feed mine on prawns and hikari carnivore tablets to get them fattened up, good luck they are great fish, still one of my favourites:clap:
Thanks for the advice mate,:thumbup: any other foods you can sugest I give them?

Marsbar

Apr 26, 2009
Lincoln
Thanks for the advice mate,:thumbup: any other foods you can sugest I give them?
They are very keen on fishy foods such as prawns, muscles, cockles etc but you must be care full not to overfeed these foods as they can easily polute smaller tanks, if you feed these a couple of times a week with other dry foods on the other days then they will put on some good body mass as they are very chunky fish when you feed them up well, good luck on breeding them