What type of l?

Big_kev

Oct 12, 2009
Cabramatta sydney
It's a hypancistrus. I say H. Contradens (that's not the same as L201) :)
So what is a h.contradens? What l # is it?

I purchase these as l201, but to be they look nothing like l201.
Their body is much much thicker and look much fatter, not only that the spot on them is bigger then on my l201. The colour of the dot is yellow suppose to my l201 been white.

Please help.

I have 10.

Big_kev

Oct 12, 2009
Cabramatta sydney
Oh oh, and these have lot more hair aswell. I purchase 10 all at different size from 4-9cm. I notices the smallest one has more hair on it then my biggest male l201 @8cm.

I have confuse, although if you look at them at a glance, they do look very similar.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Can't see any black seam to the fin so its not L102.
The spots look a bit big to be a L201 and they only grow to 10cm anyway.
I would say you have very rare in Australia Hypancistrus contradens. They gorw to 12-13cm.

Where were you when I was chasing a female of them? Flaming heck I would have paid a $1000 for one. <3

Big_kev

Oct 12, 2009
Cabramatta sydney
Can't see any black seam to the fin so its not L102.
The spots look a bit big to be a L201 and they only grow to 10cm anyway.
I would say you have very rare in Australia Hypancistrus contradens. They gorw to 12-13cm.

Where were you when I was chasing a female of them? Flaming heck I would have paid a $1000 for one. <3
So what l # is a h.contradens?

Personally these look some much stockier then my l201.
I purchase these as l201 to add to my breeding colony, but now that they are together these look some what nicer and bigger.

So should I keep them together or give these their own tank?

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
Hi jumping on this thread more from The L Number point than an ID
You ask what L Number it is?
As stated it is probable H. Contradens as such it can have no L Number once described that is given a scientific name it has no L Number.
L numbers are at best a lose identification used by hobbyists and some import/ collectors/ wholesalers to give fish a sellable name and to group fish that arrive collected from the same area.

People will still use the “OLD†L number basically because it is familiar and an old habit.
H Contradens never really had an L Number as such, along with several of the “dark spotted Orinoco Hypans†this fish was described quite recently and common names along with sudo scientific names led to great confusion in the hobby. L201/ L102 being two fish that despite looking the same has on close inspection different physical characteristics.
Sadly The Hypans are not being described in any great numbers leading to many disputes and disagreements over variants and hybrids in nature.