Sexing Mature L333?

Joep

Jun 5, 2011
Hervey Bay QLD (Australia)
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could give me a hand sexing these L333's?

I believe the top one is a male and the other 2 are female but not sure, here are the pictures:

thanks heaps!

Joep

Jun 5, 2011
well they were sold to me as L333, they are in a tank next to my L66 and i must say that i've had times that i thought the same thing! although the lines are thicker than the 66's, the tails are "forked" instead of straight

to be honest i do not know enough yet about L's to be confident in saying what they are

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
There is a difference in the tail. I have used sub-adult photos of plecos roughly the same age.
L333 tail average sort of a tail which more or less fits the body.

The L066 has a rather impressive tail in relation to the body and a much deeper fork. Pity I missed her extending her fins but plecos dont tend to show off much during a photo session.

Both L333 and L066 are Hypans and called scribbly in pattern. Scribbles are many and varied according to the age of the pleco. They are not an accurate indication of species. Both species can also have a yellowed variety so colors are not an indication of species either.

marls

Jun 6, 2010
Sydney, NSW
Hi All,
Please correct me if I'm wrong...As per pleco profiles, my understanding was that mature adults the L066 body is somewhat elongated when compared with L-333. and that -
"...Vermiculations on its pattern are usually rather thin, and more importantly, especially amongst males, connected, to form a “checkered†pattern along portions of the flank—usually, nearer to the belly of the L066..." :dk:

Just my understanding, nothing else.:)
Cheers
Marls

Marsbar

Apr 26, 2009
Lincoln
Yes the L066 thins down more towards the tail and the L333 is much stockier towards the base of the tail, you will notice it just in the pictures above but it becomes more apparent in adult fish.

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
I am going to put the cat amongst the pigeons here, I think it is 2 M, 1 F.
I see spikes on the front fins of the first 2 pics, and none on the last..

Joep

Jun 5, 2011
Hi Mooo,

so a definate indicator would be the "spikes" on the front fins? which would mean that its a male? i'll try to take some more pictures of just the top of the body on the weekend

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Ls are usually easier to sex, when being close to mature. In most cases, the males have much more odontodes growth or hairs. In most cases on the fron fins and back tail area. head shape also helps. These are not 100% indicators but are close to it. In pic1, you clearly see the hairs on fins and tail. In pic 2 you see small hairs on fins and really none on the tail. In pic 3 you can see no hairs so F. I would reasses and say 1M and 1F and the middle fish still not mature, but tail wise looks like F. cheers jk :thumbup:

Joep

Jun 5, 2011
*Update* Sexing Mature L333?

I am going to put the cat amongst the pigeons here, I think it is 2 M, 1 F.
I see spikes on the front fins of the first 2 pics, and none on the last..
Well Mooo seems to be right, Last week I found 1 Male in a Log with some very small fry and the other Male is in another log fanning some eggs!
Some got kicked out so they are in the tumbler atm

Pretty pleased as this is also my first L# spawn!