Fish number 1 and fish number 2

Fish number 1 and fish number 2

Let me know if you have any ideas :)

Thanks
Jarrah

Marsbar

Apr 26, 2009
Lincoln
fish one is male, but the others I am not sure, possible female number two but not gravid so its difficult to say, three & four are to small to sex

Plecomate

Jul 28, 2011
Sydney, Australia
1 is defiantly Male, the rest look like Females to me although 3 & 4 are a tad small so could be a male yet to develop his hairs. Hope this was some help buddy :)

Jarrah

Jan 10, 2010
Sydney, NSW
I think number 4 could be a female as I bought it with two other L134s and now the other two are over 7cm and this one is a little smaller... Aren't females slower growing? Anyway you can't be too sure hahah

Plecomate

Jul 28, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Generally speaking females tend to be smaller than males of the same age, they do appear more rounded and fatter when gravid. All in all this is only a rule as nature can never have a set method for determining male and female in terms of size.

just my 5 cents champ

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
i think you have one dominant male...

and the other 3 are all males yet to show their hairy butts... similar head shape on all of them....

if you get fry from them you can prove me wrong! :thumbup:

Jarrah

Jan 10, 2010
Sydney, NSW
Hey Johnno
I would fins it hard to believe that they are all male as I sold 4 other fish that were part of the colony that all had a lot of hair on them and were generally larger fish (same age)

Jarrah

Jan 10, 2010
Sydney, NSW
Hey guys,
Here are a few pics of fish number two...
I won't be pretty sad to see them all as males :( haha
I sold other fish that were and sizes to this fish that had a lot of hair and this fish has nothing visible hah!
Let me know guys hope these pictures help
Thanks

Bigjohnnofish

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 15, 2010
Perth, Western Australia
Hey Johnno
I would fins it hard to believe that they are all male as I sold 4 other fish that were part of the colony that all had a lot of hair on them and were generally larger fish (same age)

i bought 6 fish from one person and 4 others from a different person 3-4 years ago and all fish bar 1 were 10-12cm and showing no hair at all...

bingo i hit the jackpot - all girls... i bought couple males and within weeks all the others developed hair and after further examination (venting also) it has been decided they were all male except the smaller one (still unknown)

134 males dont necessarily get hairy buts at 8cm!!!!

if ya wanna prove us all wrong do it with fry or some vented pics in good focus....

i'l love to say you have 1 male and 3 girls... but i'd be lying....

how this happens is because you buy fry from a breeder and if your the first buyer you invariably get the biggest ones... if your the last buyer from a spawn you usually end up with the smaller ones.... :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Plecomate

Jul 28, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Im almost in the same situation, I have 2 pairs, One pair is larger than the other pair. Both females are gravid but the larger male in Tank 1 has no hair on his tail, where as the smaller male in tank 2 is full of hair. Makes me question whether or not its a male.

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
When I got my 134s one of the males had no hair at all, and the other maybe 2 or 3 :lol: afte about 2 months they both had hair, but one had lots more/thicker

xingu

Apr 26, 2009
DXB
Im almost in the same situation, I have 2 pairs, One pair is larger than the other pair. Both females are gravid but the larger male in Tank 1 has no hair on his tail, where as the smaller male in tank 2 is full of hair. Makes me question whether or not its a male.
if they are 'breeding pairs' why would you even question it?

Plecomate

Jul 28, 2011
Sydney, Australia
No they haven't started breeding for me yet, but the previous owner had them in a colony and they bred. He said if he still had them he would put them in one tank because they are used to each other and have a little competition. Anyways I will move them to one tank tonight and hope to breed. :) fingers crossed

JoePlec

Aug 27, 2010
Rainhill, Merseyside
No they haven't started breeding for me yet, but the previous owner had them in a colony and they bred. He said if he still had them he would put them in one tank because they are used to each other and have a little competition. Anyways I will move them to one tank tonight and hope to breed. :) fingers crossed
You need a female then.

YSR50

Apr 29, 2009
Chicago-ish
Been breeding L134s for a few years now and hair means very little at times. Last batch I had a few weeks ago were raised by a male who hardly had anymore hair than the female.