5mm circular white spot on L190

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Yesterday I noticed a 3mm circular spot just behind the eye on my 15.5" L190, my first reaction was that it was a blemish (I see this occasionally on my 11" L190 after he's bumped his head).

Today it is still there and a little bigger 5mm, it seems to have a small (1mm) pimple protruding from the top of it. The spot is greyish white and the pimple is white. I'll try to get a pic of it. Ive studied the fish for ages now and I cant see any others.

My first thought was just a blemish, then 'oh crap its the plague!', but after looking at plague pics I dont think so + its reported to not affect L190. Perhaps the start of something fungal or bacterial?

The fish looks and acts no differently, active, eating, pooing. All other fish seem ok. I cleaned the main filter a few days ago didnt feed until just now, changed the water just now. I'll check the parameters in the morning.

Any ideas/suggestions? Meds I currently have are King British whitespot, Interpet internal bacteria and slime/velvet and Sera baktapur.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
oh dear, hard to say, could be a wound gone septic, could be heater burn or ulcer of some sort.
I would start with a good water change as that is forst step to good health, then maybe add some melafix and pimafix as general antiseptics etc.
try and get pics if you can, good luck

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
I'm inclined to agree with D, you need to increase aeration as with most meds. Also keep an eye on it.

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Ive had a quick look at Myxazin, its says its a bactericide and lists the same symptoms as the Sera baktopur (which I have). Baktopur says it has acriflavine chloride (209.7mg per 100ml) which is antiseptic and inhibits bacterial and viral replication and methylene blue (4.95mg per 100ml). I'll give baktopur a go.

BTW isnt methylene blue notorious for staining silicone?

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
I did a waterchange and baktopur'd the tank. Its bloody neon green! I checked the water parameters before hand the wc and med.

Using a tetra dip test

pH - 6
GH - <3
KH - 0
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 10/20 mgl

Sera test kits

pH - 6
KH - 2/3
NO3 - I lost the colour chart but it was orangey red

esha

NO3 - 20mgl

Nothing glaringly obvious. The KH and pH have always been on the low side, I added some mussel and cockle shells, collected from the beach a couple of days ago, to boost them.

Skilldeft

Apr 21, 2009
Durham
Very similar to what my L418 had a week or two ago. I just upped the WCs and its gone pretty quickly. I'm sure mine was some kind of knock or scrape.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
You methed the main tank?

You will have to watch the ammonia and nitrite as meth blue can kill the filter bacteria

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Just curious as to whether anything has been added to the tank recently?

How is he doing and the water parameters?
wish id got to this thread before you added the meth:wb:

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Water, pre-water change on wednesday.

Using a tetra dip test

pH - 6
GH -
KH - 0
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 10/20 mgl

Sera test kits

pH - 6
KH - 2/3
NO3 - I lost the colour chart but it was orangey red

esha test kit

NO3 - 20mgl

The spot looks to be getting better (less noticeable). I dont know constitutes as mething but it was only a small proportion of the medication, 5mg in 100ml, so from what I doesd I only put in 1mg in.

Thinking about it, the eheim wet/dry filter had been turned off the week before because the breather pipe had leaked. So it wouldnt have been running fully bio wise. Then I cleaned the ex2400, but it still leaves the ex1200 running. I didnt feed anything and had been wc'ing every other day. So probably between those days the water quality could have dipped.

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
In the flesh the tank was even more green! The spot has now practically gone. It think it was most likely a scratch/blemish that got a little infected.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Orabase

Hi all,
I only ever use meth blue in extreme cases. Nasty stuff
, very true, I'd probably have tried the melafix, and I've use "Orabase" (from Boots) when I've had a fish with a possible wound or ulcer. It is a waterproof ulcer treatment (for humans), but a lot of anglers, Koi keepers etc. use it. Don't tell the pharmacist what you want it for, or they won't sell it to you.
cheers Darrel