Advice needed on bristlenose breeding!

reed99re

Nov 8, 2021
hallo all! My male long fin bristlenose is guarding a huge pile of eggs in his cave. They were laid yesterday.
The female however keeps trying to get back into his cave. She is really fighting him to get back in. Is this normal? I havent yet experienced a female trying to get back into a cave yet! I know that other males can try and muscle in, to try and eat the other males eggs....do females do this too?

Should I move the male to a sepeerate tank so he can be in peace?....she is most persistant!

mrRRunner

Oct 2, 2009
Staffordshire UK
I have bred quite a few B/ns in the past and have witnessed the female hanging around the cave but never trying to get in, what I have witnessed is another female wanting to get in as she was obviously fertile. if I were to remove any it would be the female as the male will look after the eggs and if moved may stress him, hth.

Reactions: Misscar1979

Doopeas

Jan 17, 2023
I think they should be separated because Bristlenose males should be limited to one in the tank because they are very territorial and will undoubtedly squabble with one another

johnbetta397

Feb 26, 2023
take the female out she wants to breed again but its un likely she will have any eggs in her to preduce that fast that is if she is the only female in there its common for 2 females to lay eggs in the same cave at the same time with one male some times haveing 2 males can mean compation for breeding and can make breeding happen faster the domainent male will breed first the other will back away till next time