ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE!

emi93m

May 4, 2015
Sydney Australia
Hello All I currently have a standard 4 foot tank running 2 sponge filters on either end. ( Their is no other filtration )

In the tank their are 3 adult BN and approx. 100 fry between 1 to 2 cm.

The tank and filters have been running for about 4 months but even with water changes every couple of days the filters aren't keeping up. they are getting clogged and even after squeezing them out in aquarium water they clog up again in a couple of days.

I am not overfeeding but keeping the frys bellies full most of the time.

I have just made 2 sponge filters that will increase my filtration by double but I am concerned that the cycling process will kill the fry if not all the BNS.

If I leave the existing sponge filters in the tank running and just add my new sponge filter will this work or will the cycling process still affect the fish?

Thanks in advance . Mick

DJ-don

Dec 14, 2009
Canberra Australia
If you leave the other sponge filters in there still running the tank should be fine while the new sponge filters cycle
Removing them on the other hand will cause ammonia spikes.

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
If you are concerned then just add one more sponge filter at a time.
To give it a good start, take the old sponge and squeeze it out in the water change bucket of water. It turns the water brown. Then squeeze the new filters in the bucket so it sucks up that gunk and gives them a good kick start.