Amano shrimp

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
Hi.I've been offered some off my mates amano shrimp.he says they are good cleaners and love algae.is it worth havin some in my tank?are they easy to look after and will they up the bio load?

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
hi, be careful, some do not like too high temps. Otherwise they are cool looking shrimp and great in the tank. cheers jk :thumbup:

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
They are great in planted tanks. Look at where they got their common name & you'll understand. Yes, they will up the bioload, anything alive will but they are great cleanup crew for your tank and due to their size don't add significant amounts of waste.

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Had mine for over 2 years now and never lost a single one. They can catch baby fish as they caught and ate a couple of molly fry I had. Slightly more aggressive and need a bit more space than cherry shrimp. Have seen them nipping my plecs to get to food before, annoying but harmless. Good algae eaters. Don't breed in normal tank conditions so won't over run your tank like cherry shrimp.

Good at catching and eating live bloodworm and will swim away with whole algae wafers.

Never had problems with them at high temps up to 28C, now in different tank at 23/24C still fine.

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
All shrimp can be a great advantage in an aquarium..I love all my shrimp, They are the most interesting creatures..Congrats on yours, they are very nice..
Don't feed em too much or they won't do their cleaning job,,

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
I would say plecs are better at cleaning algae than shrimp though. Need a lot of shrimp to keep the sides of the tank clean. They are more for show. If you want rid of any algae don't add any food at all. My cherry shrimp feed only on algae growing in the tank, there are loads of them and even that isn't enough to clear the algae away.

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
just seen one of my bigger shrimp with a big brown patch on in him:

i did try for a pic but he/she didnt stay still for long.
so i just painted one of my other pics i have to show wot it looks like.
any ideas?
this shrimp is the only one i have that looks like this.

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
My female is pregnant all the time but never bothered trying to raise them. I guess it must be like feeding brine shrimp to my cpd's and a never ending supply of free food once they hatch.

Worth a try moving them into salty water, quite a few have been successful by what I have read but more time consuming and tricky to catch the hatchlings to move them.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
My female is pregnant all the time but never bothered trying to raise them. I guess it must be like feeding brine shrimp to my cpd's and a never ending supply of free food once they hatch.

Worth a try moving them into salty water, quite a few have been successful by what I have read but more time consuming and tricky to catch the hatchlings to move them.
Don't spose you got any links to any articles etc for peeps that have been successful? I only know of people that have tried but havent managed to raise the young, would be cool to read a success story:D

Jacqueline

Jan 19, 2011
Holland
I have a group of 10 Japonica (amano) shrimp in my discustank. They are great for eating algae and keeping your tank clean. The discus leave them alone, in my case anyway.

My females have eggs all the time but never any baby's. Breeding Japonica shrimp requires a special tank for the newly hatched baby shrimp. In nature the female will travel with her eggs to a brackish or salt water river were the baby's will hatched. They will stay there until they are young adults and then leave for fresh water to breed. And then the cycle will repeat itself :)

So, you won't find any baby Amano shrimp in your fresh water tank.