amazon sword

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
hi,i need to do some trimming on my amazon sword.whats the best way to do this?
do i cut it as close to the base of the plant as poss or can i leave 1" or so from the base?
i need to cut at least 4 leaves,3 of which are going manky and the other one is just too dam big.
cheers.

Lornek8

Apr 21, 2009
Hawaii
I thought you're new water store was opaque?
That'd be the only obstacle, not enough light & not enough nutrients. Add both in order to grow the ferns & you'd likely grow algae again.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
You just need to leave the shoot on the plant, it will grow fairly quickly and then it may flower above the water line, or it may just produce new plantlets, or a combination of both. Leave them attached to the stem until they have 3 or 4 leaves and the roots are several centimetres long, then you can take them off and pot them in little net pots (like the ones the Tropica plants come in (below)) or ordinary plastic pots. I usually use a "jiffy coir pellet" to plant in, but you can use rockwool or gravel. If you know your LFS fairly well, they will keep any old net pots for you.
Pot

Pellet

If you can "wiggle" the plantlets from the stem, the stem will keep on producing new ones for several months. I usually keep a couple potted up as spare plants, that I can move to a new tank etc. but I'm pretty sure you could sell them on Ebay etc. Have a look here for what the plantlets should look like before you take them off. <http://keys.lucidcentral.org/keys/aquariumplants2/Aquarium_&_Pond_Plants_of_the_World/key/Aquarium_&_Pond_Plants/Media/Html/Image_pages/echinodorus_images.html>

cheers Darrel