anyone be willing to...

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
i make caves this size hence why i only have 6 fingers left, or used to make them i should say. not had chance lately cause of work though. how many would you be after?

charles101

May 3, 2009
worcestershire
i make caves this size hence why i only have 6 fingers left, or used to make them i should say. not had chance lately cause of work though. how many would you be after?
lol say 5? depending on price. although before you go loosing more fingers im trying to get hold of an angle grinder so i can do it myself (hopefully lol)

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
lol say 5? depending on price. although before you go loosing more fingers im trying to get hold of an angle grinder so i can do it myself (hopefully lol)
you want a diamond tip tile cutter to cut slate properly, angle grinder would not be ideal for making caves

charles101

May 3, 2009
worcestershire
you want a diamond tip tile cutter to cut slate properly, angle grinder would not be ideal for making caves
cheers, well too late now! have an angle grinder (does have a diamond blade on) and am going to try tomorrow. any tips as i fear its goin to be quite difficult ive drawn out 2 x 10 cm strips on the stone/slate and my plan was to put it in a vice and give it a go! out of curiosity if you do find the time and want to how much would you charge for 6 caves?

st24rsap

Apr 21, 2009
UK
cheers, well too late now! have an angle grinder (does have a diamond blade on) and am going to try tomorrow. any tips as i fear its goin to be quite difficult ive drawn out 2 x 10 cm strips on the stone/slate and my plan was to put it in a vice and give it a go! out of curiosity if you do find the time and want to how much would you charge for 6 caves?
i have no idea what advice to give, personally i would not even try doing it with an angle grinder but will be interesting to see how you get on.

caves are usually about £4 each

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
The only tip I have to offer is make sure you wet the slate so that it doesnt kick up slate dust. I did some in my back garden last year with a grinder and got a right "telling off" off one of the neighbours.:D

Cheers

thegeeman

Last edited by a moderator:

charles101

May 3, 2009
worcestershire
i have no idea what advice to give, personally i would not even try doing it with an angle grinder but will be interesting to see how you get on.

caves are usually about £4 each
well i will let you know tomorrow but i have a feeling that it really isnt going to work as its just so small i fear it will just crack, but we will see no harm in trying, if i do fail miserably would you be willing to make me some?

The only tip I have to offer is make sure you wet the slate so that it doesnt kick up slate dust. I did some in my back garden last year with a grinder and got a right "telling off" off one of the neighbours.:D

Cheers

thegeeman
lol will do, out of cuiosity you say you done it in your garden how did you hold it down? i imagine it will be easier to cut flat than in a vice? but was worried that i would not be able to hold it down flat.

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
lol will do, out of cuiosity you say you done it in your garden how did you hold it down? i imagine it will be easier to cut flat than in a vice? but was worried that i would not be able to hold it down flat.
ummmmmmm I took health and safety guidlines into consideration and invested in a pair of goggles a brick and my steel toe cap boots. Mate after 30 seconds of cutting (about 2 inches) I couldnt see a thing around me and neither could my neighbours.

Have fun:lol::lol:

Cheers

thegeeman

windy

Apr 24, 2009
cardiff
when i made mine i held the slate with my foot
make sure the slate is on a flat suface or it will break
and cut a few mms a time

charles101

May 3, 2009
worcestershire
Might be worth picking up one of these ;)
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/83636/Power-Tools/Tile-Saws/Titan-600w-Tile-Cutter

Its like what I use - It'll only cost you a bit more than the buying the caves from some-one else (and as you have the slate already it'll pay for its self ;)

How thick is the blade you've got in the grinder?
cheers good price aswell, i would say around 2mm

ummmmmmm I took health and safety guidlines into consideration and invested in a pair of goggles a brick and my steel toe cap boots. Mate after 30 seconds of cutting (about 2 inches) I couldnt see a thing around me and neither could my neighbours.

Have fun:lol::lol:
Cheers

thegeeman
LOL oh god! the more i hear the more i think i will not be able to get away with a cheap bodge on this one lol, worth a try though!
i would, but no idea when i will have the time to do them lifes hectic at the mo
ok well thats much appreciated and wil let you know if i need them or not tomorow.
when i made mine i held the slate with my foot
make sure the slate is on a flat suface or it will break
and cut a few mms a time
thing is the stuff i have is actually from wales and is more of stone than slate there was endless amounts of the stuff large(ish) flat stones but theyre not large enough to hold with a foot and cut lol. so your saying in a vice it will just break? i need to hold it flat?.

thegeeman

Apr 21, 2009
In the house of gee
If its proper slate and not the roof stuff then split it down the seems with a hammer and bolster. It comes apart really well and you can get nice thin pieces then just grind it to the size you need

Cheers

thegeeman

windy

Apr 24, 2009
cardiff
you really need roofing slate or slate floor tiles to make caves
it will make cutting them easier