Anyone grow Java ferns ?

Pete

May 19, 2009
North wales
Hi I dont keep a "proper" planted aquaruim anymore went over to plecs :clap:
I still like plants in the tank tho and grow java fern on bogwood and sponge.
I have found that the ferns grow better in good light which confuses me a bit as the books all say they do best in low light.
Any one else grow java ferns whats your setup ?
Pete

I

intrepidmax

I did have loads only a few months back but either gave them away or binned them because I had so much I didnt know what to do with. I like java moss and riccia better anyways.

I also find java fern grows better in good light (not over powering light) I also found they went brown and spotted in darker conditions. so I think good light is best I think.

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
I do and they don't seem to do that well in 'normal' tank light. Surely but slowly they die off, but it could be that co2 would make a big difference as my PH is pretty high.

Stan

Apr 23, 2009
Shenzhen, China
IME with java fern, those heavy blocks you buy from LFS never live long. but for some reason, wghen you split them up and re-plant theyu seem to take off. I don't know if its just me but it seems to make a huge difference...
:) (low-medium light apps.)

Last edited:

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Ihave a few big plants grown from small but they do suffer from hairy algae on the leaves a lot and in some tanks they seem to get eatne but not in others. I am beginning to suspect the baby apple snails, or BNs as the leaves go lacey.
I should add some more plant fert I guess.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
I have a lot of Java Fern, and I agree with Pete, in the right circumstances it grows very well under high light conditions. When you buy a "normal" Java plant it is one leaf and very little rhizome, it will take this a long time to grow, and often the plant response will be to produce new plant-lets on the leaf before dieing. If you can get bigger rhizome sections they will bulk up more quickly, but it will never grow very quickly, and really in common with plants like Java Moss and Anubias it is a plant that can tolerate lower light conditions, rather than needing them. I've found the secret with Java Fern is to wait until your tank is well established, buy a "mother" plant/obtain a large lump fasten on somewhere in a bit of current and then totally ignore it.

I have a silica sand substrate, I don't add CO2 or regualr nutrients, keep a light fish load, feed mainly live food and I change a lot of water (10% rain water every day), so this would be a high-light / low nutrient set up, with pH about 7 (during the day, lower at night with more CO2) and KH about 3.
Most fast growing plants won't grow under this regime, it's a bit like growing a lawn, if you feed, mow and water it, you have the "lush, stripey green carpet", but if you stop doing all of this, the grass thins, all the rye grass dies and you are left with a much nicer, lower maintenance area of daisy's, fescue grass, clover and cat's ears

Once low nutrient tanks are fully established, they grow a small amount of green (hair, stagshorn) & red algae(BBA) but all plant growth is nutrient limited, and Java ferns will eventually colonize all the bog wood, rock, sponges etc., older leaves will become algaed, but everything will happen fairly slowly.

cheers Darrel

Pete

May 19, 2009
North wales
:hi:
Thanks for replies, really informative :clap:
The Java fern in one of the tanks had stopped growing and got tatty.
The other identical tank was doing well, the only difference was that the light level had dropped off, the tubes were getting old
I have replaced the tubes and replanted with new plants from the other tank.

My tanks are set up with the plecos in mind.
Well filtered and I dont add nutreints or CO2 either
I change 40% weekly and use R/O GH is 4 and KH is 3, low values but are stable
I was really pleased when I found that Java fern did well in the pleco tanks
Pete