Baby Shrimp or not Baby Shrimp??

sdleigh

Jan 9, 2011
Barnsley
That is the question??

I have a little snail problem that I'm managing at the moment and every few days I do a mass 'suck-up' but inspect the tank for possible baby shrimp first. Iv not yet had babys so I'm not sure what they look like?

Just now about to do my 'suck-up' sesh, and iv got these VERY small white things bouncing around my moss ball, there are quite a lot and so small I can't make out the shape, so I don't know if its shrimp, but they are bouncing wriggling and swimming around! I'm assuming baby snails don't do that, so are they shrimp or have I got something new I shouldn't have in my tank?

Note I have Red Cherry Shrimp

Thanks for the replies!

Catfishrok

Jan 11, 2010
newcastle nsw
they could be seed shrimp aka daphina. Very common in planted shrimp tanks. They won't do any harm but they can get to plaugue proportions very quickly. Maybe back off the feeding a little and some more frequent water changes to keep them in check. If you put 1 guppy or any small fish in there they will eat them all in no time, but no doubt they will eat your baby shrimp too.

The baby cherrys will be an exact replica of their parents in miniture.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
catfishrok i think is correct. The baby shrimp are small but they are not at a larvae stage etc when released from the parents tail. they are miniature versions of adults. Any chance of a photo ? cheers jk :thumbup:

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
dont sound like baby shrimp, could be daphbia or some water mite/flea?
if you have a snail problem in cherry shrimp tank try adding discus wormer, works for me.

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
baby cherry shrimp hardly move around when hatched , are pale sort of see through exact versions of the parents. You will know baby shrimp if they are clinging onto plants or stuck still to the glass. They may float from plant to plant but definitely not bounce around. After a few weeks they will be red in colour and be a lot bigger.

In my shrimp only tank on my first attempt , I had to shut it down, I had copepods and hydra. Not sure where the hydra came from but they lived on the copepods and I'm sure baby shrimp got stung. Second tank stayed clear of both. Don't overfeed shrimp tanks as you also end up with planaria.

Never bothered using discus wormer but obviously it works without harming the shrimp in low doses.