BBC News today - Burma Dam construction 'on hold'

Pleco PJS

May 7, 2010
Southampton, UK
Hi all

:woohoo:GOOD NEWS:woohoo:

Don't know if you've seen this yet... may make a difference to imports, etc...

BBC NEWS (ONLINE) - Asia-Pacific Reporter Rachel Harvey

30.9.2011 (today)

Burma dam: Work halted on divisive Myitsone project The project had sparked a rare campaign of opposition, joined by Aung San Suu Kyi
Burma's president has suspended construction of a controversial Chinese-backed hydroelectric dam.

In a letter read out in parliament on Friday, Thein Sein said the $3.6bn (£2.3bn) Myitsone dam was contrary to the will of the people.

The project fuelled fighting between the army and ethnic Kachin rebels, and pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi recently joined the anti-dam campaign.

The suspension is being seen as a rare victory for social activists.

The BBC's South East Asia correspondent Rachel Harvey says it appears to be further evidence of the new leadership's desire to seek legitimacy by being more open to public opinion.

The army handed over power to a civilian authority in March, although many of the new rulers are ex-military.

Our correspondent says lobby groups will still be wary because Thein Sein has said he is suspending the dam's construction only for the term of his office, which ends in 2015.

More info available on the BBC page,
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world/asia-pacific-15121801

Hope this helps
Kind regrds
Pleco PJS

SilverDub

Apr 27, 2009
I heard from Matabula yesterday that another Brazilian Judge has intervened on the Belo Monte so fingers crossed he is kept out of harms way and the supreme court don't over rule it again.

SilverDub

Apr 27, 2009
This is truely fantastic news.

Last week I started making moves on my conservation (FFMKII feel free not to comment!) I spoke with the Head of Conservation at Colchester Zoo for 40 mins on the phone. Worringly she knew nothing of any Dams in Brazil. But she was very interested in the information I told her and she has agreed to send me an e-mail with some key contacts in the larger zoo's and aquariums. I said I would like to help create local awareness and asked of they would accept donated fish in exchange for some literature on the aquarium. So I'll be donating 2-3 threatened plecos for starters in the not to disatant future.

I am also going to be asking for advise on creating small scale conservation schemes, just in case the worst happens then we will know where these fish are.

IanB

Jul 21, 2011
Mid_Suffolk, UK
www.oldschoolmtb.co.uk
I am also going to be asking for advise on creating small scale conservation schemes, just in case the worst happens then we will know where these fish are.
If my fish room is up and running, I'd be into this.. totally not interested in selling expensive fish. I'd rather give them away to the right people than make a buck from them.

You from N.Essex way Dub??

SilverDub

Apr 27, 2009
Hi Ian I'm in Basildon but travel all over the East Of England with my job. We go to Colchester twice a year at least as a family. I suggested I help them revamp 2 of there aquariums as they are looking a little tired.

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
I think most of us running fish houses would happily run a little conservation project, but there is no way that most of us could afford to pay loads for a group that we had no intention of getting money back from, most of the fish i have are relatively cheap and so tend to give lots away anyway, but i still need to cover the cost of purchases and running costs, otherwise i'd be all up for it too.

SilverDub

Apr 27, 2009
Thats a very good point Brian, there is no way I could afford these fish (without my means). Check your PM's dude.

matubula

Retired Staff
May 7, 2009
Chester, UK
Just a point regarding the expense of some of the fish we are alluding to. There are plenty of threatened fish from the Xingu that aren't expensive (well, depending on what you deem an expensive fish to be). Take Baryancistrus and Pseudacanthicus for instance, both are found in the Xingu, both similar in size and husbandry (apart from diet). However, they are oppostes in price and availability but no less important than each other, and no less worthy.