Best nutrition

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
I'm just curious to know what you feed your plecs, and what is the best foods to feed them? Especially those with L134 :whistle:
Thanks

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
I don't know if any one food is ever the "best". As with all creatures a variety and nothing to excess is good.

I feed my L134, Hikari algae wafers as a base. Sera Viformo in small amounts. Sera flora vegetable flake which the guppies mostly grab (keeps em off the wafers).
Once a week or so they might score a few shrimp pellets, cucumber, and frozen Hikari bloodworm or frozen brine shrimp.

If they are adults, you can feed them pretty much most anything as they are an omnivore but if they are young, then feed more veg than meat sorts.

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
Ok thanks Bren helps alot, I was worried I wasn't feeding correctly. I feed them tetra prima, tetra pleco multi wafers, a little mussel and a little bloodworm, and some courgette . The dried gets fed more than the others

Brengun

Global Moderators
Staff member
Apr 22, 2009
Burrum Heads, Queensland, Australia
Yup I have added a weeny bit of chopped mussel before too. Dunno if the L134 ate it but someone did lol.
Over here we have a granuled food called Tetra color bits. I fed some the other night but it wasn't a huge success since the power filter picked it up and it was just small enough to fit in the filters slots.
I like the flat flakes as they tend to just sit on the outside of filters and the L134 know exactly where to find it.
Adults don't tend to be real big on the vege eating but every so often they will have a real binge eat with it and then not touch it again for a few weeks.

JackGillett

Jan 10, 2010
Oxford
Cool I'll look out for similar stuff. I've tried the tetra colour crisps and they seem to go down well, most likely because its pretty smelly. I usually throw in some courgette pieces every 2 weeks or so

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
I feed boiled stroppy little sods who post stupid threads No prize for guessing the right person

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
prawns, bloodworm, spinach, algae wafer, earthworm pellets, green mussel pellets, dried seaweed, cucumber, courgette, tetra variety wafers, potato are what I can remember feeding them.

Lots of other things I haven't tried them on yet but main diet is algae wafer/veg and prawns/earthworm or bloodworm corys love the bloodworms. Only ones that would touch potato would be the common plecs and maybe the bristlenose but they much prefer courgette. L191 will only eat hikari algae wafer for some reason or courgette. Courgette causes lots of fights as every plec likes it.