Best root tabs?

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi all,
I'm a bit of an agnostic about the effects of fluctuating CO2 levels, what is true is that higher CO2 levels will definitely lead to faster plant growth if other nutrients aren't limiting.
Yes, but not in tanks with fish in them. This is your best bet.

cheers Darrel
You are assuming I am going to use the DIY CO2 in my tank but I am not. Just want to see how long I can keep a yeast solution going for. Think you are getting me wrong. I get bored so do stupid things like that instead. Thanks anyway.

Agnostic OK, well I know that the high amount of CO2 from adding fresh tap water straight to your tank that you haven't left to stand for the CO2 to escape straight to your tank brings about BBA, which I have successfully controlled already. CO2 alone cannot create an algae problem but makes BBA worse I already know that, been there done that.

Thanks,

Jess :)

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
"You are assuming I am going to use the DIY CO2 in my tank but I am not."
I don't use CO2, and I wouldn't advise any one to use it.
"I know that the high amount of CO2 from adding fresh tap water straight to your tank that you haven't left to stand for the CO2 to escape straight to your tank brings about BBA, which I have successfully controlled already."
Again I don't use tap water, and I wouldn't advise any one else to use it. I usually have some BBA in the tanks, but the amount varies from tank to tank.

cheers Darrel

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi all,
I don't use CO2, and I wouldn't advise any one to use it.
Again I don't use tap water, and I wouldn't advise any one else to use it. I usually have some BBA in the tanks, but the amount varies from tank to tank.

cheers Darrel

Nowt wrong with council pop unless you want to breed speciality fish or keep prized marines.

Not being funny but if you don't know something first hand just tell me from the start, will save going round in circles. Been on other sites and listened to other people already just wanted to see what you had to say and your actual experience.

Cheers very much Darrel.

My line spacing may be a bit out though, joking.

Jess :)

froggie

Sep 8, 2009
South Africa Jhb
I have used Seachem tabs with great success. In my opinion they the best as they last up to 3 months and my plants love them. My vallis tripples in quantity every 2 months, my swords and Anubias have grown out of the tank and my cryps are healthy and strong.

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Not being funny but if you don't know something first hand just tell me from the start, will save going round in circles
Jessonthenet you were the one who asked about "DIY CO2" and "root tabs". I've given you my opinion, but you are not obliged to take any notice of it. As you are a member of UKAPS, I would make use of the expertise on that forum for technical matters to do with CO2, they have an entire forum devoted to it.

Nowt wrong with council pop unless you want to breed speciality fish or keep prized marines.
Yes I agree that tapwater is perfectly good for its intended purpose, as drinking water. I don't agree that it is always suitable for fish-keeping. I know you pasted on the some of the chloramine threads, but there are also potential issues with heavy metals, high phosphates (to the control lead levels), high nitrates in many supplies (from agriculture) and persistent pesticides which can cause sub-lethal effects at extremely low concentrations. There may also be more general issues with hardness and conductivity.

cheers Darrel

Ltoro

Apr 9, 2011
Australia
I dont use tabs at all but every time i research them i find that dupla makes some of the most recomended ones ....IMO if you use the correct substrate, have a healthy fish load, never miss your water changes (preff RO of Puratap) and use liquid ferts along with a stable and well regulated CO2 sys then you should be ok without them