betta care

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
hi,any one helped a sick betta?
today me and my boy popped into my LFS and and saw a sick red betta.half of his fins where gone and he had a faded patch on his side.my boy was begging me to buy him and help him to get better.
is he worth buying and helping,will he live?
i have my edge i could use,can move the rasboras into the big tank now.
what do u guys think??

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
If you do decide to get him add some indian almond leaf in the water its very good for them. The missing tail may be from stress and him biting it off. As when i kept Bettas i would notice them damaging themself.

I was naive and belived they would be fine in a betta barracks based on the information i was given however upon moving them to a heater and filtered tank never really saw it again.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
worth a try, shop should give you big discount! just dont put with any fish of value in case it infects them! good luck

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
Cheers guys but when we reterned to the shop he was gone. The guy said he was dead when he opened up. Shame.
Might still get one tho as I've already moved the other fish to the big tank.
Would indian almond leafs be a good idea if I get a betta?
Didn't use them when we had a betta before, he may still be alive if I had them.

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
well this is brian:

we got him saturday and he had a small bit of fungus and fin root on his lower fins.:cry:
that has now cleared up and hes going well.:woohoo:
i used some salt and some stored water that has some indian almond leaf soaking in it.:thumbup:
i change 10% of the water daily and feed him hikari betta bio-gold pellets,2 a day.eats them within 2 secs of em hitting the water!:lol:

Tener ds

Mar 22, 2010
Crawley (uk)
wont be getting any angels then.
had a little scare today,he was swimming around with what looked like more fungus on the ends off
his fins.but it was only small bits of sand from the bottom of the tank that had stuck to him.