black cherry shrimp

aquacouple

Dec 24, 2011
Sydney
hey guys, i am quiet new to shrimp, i was just wondering if its normal for cherry shrimp to have differant colors? i only have a few, but one that i have is black. it came from my normal red ones tho. just wondering if thats normal. thanks

jessonthenet

Oct 16, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Yes it is normal to get variations. When my cherry shrimp bred I got some with blue coloration but removed them as I didn't want them mixing with the red ones and producing horrible looking shrimp.

The black colour could be the wild colour coming back in(wild cherries are brown) since the red colour is recessive. If it is really black then I would separate it and see if you get any more and possibly carry on a line of black shrimp.

You can get yellow, red , blue and other colours I think. I have had the yellow ones(really nice) and currently have the common red ones.

A picture of the shrimp would be great, very interested to see it.

Mooo

Aug 11, 2010
Jervis Bay, NSW, Au
Very interesting, I have reds, and have lighter and darker ones, haven't struck any other variations yet,..Be nice tho, Best of luck with your black one..piccies???

AusPleco

Retired Staff
Oct 1, 2011
Rural NSW
very interesting indeed, other then the normal browns i have only ever heard of red and blue cherries. some peopel actually pay a bit more for the blue strain ones guess its preference.

Ike

Nov 9, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah cherries come in many many shades of Red and Brown, as well as: Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, White.... black would be cool too.

bigbird

Pleco Profiles Moderator - RIP FRIEND
Sep 9, 2010
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
that is one cool looking one you have. looks more like a rifle sgrimp though. very nice indeed. cheers jk :thumbup: