Black Corys

dan1801a

Aug 10, 2010
Derby
I have purchased today 3 small black corys. £18 for the 3.

They are about 15mm long at min. They are pure black with a silver white under belly, this cant be seen unless they are upto the glass belly against. For shape and a light redish inge to the fins they look like concolour but black.

Will post pics when settled. They had some green and gold lasers in aswell.

Just like to know are black corys just black variants or is there a true black out there ?

Anyway they look stunning espesialy next to the albino's they are sharing a tank with at the min.

dan1801a

Aug 10, 2010
Derby
Thanks Scatz

Yes thats them on the link, love them. It as a toss up Lasers or them and they won easly.

catsrgreat

Jan 31, 2011
yorkshire
the original and i guess "true" black cory is a variant of the shultzei
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=34

they were line bred to achieve the colour, so still kinda man made, but a very pretty fish
some 20 years ago or more a friend of mine brought me 6 corys from holland and said they were concolour.about 1 cm in size.We fed them up and it tookk about 18 months before thry bred.I ask david sands at doncaster festival what they were and he said he did,nt know.Joan the catfish breeder suggested we called them concouler species as that was the only name we had.we sold quite a lot under that name.wa were at the fish festival at western-super-mare when brian walsh brought brought a chap to look at them and after a good look at them he said he was sure they were black aeneus.the first time they had been seen for years.I believe that all the present blacks are from that group.By the the person who id. them was Ian Fuller.I still breed them and still have old females from about third generation