Bn question?

timkel

May 30, 2009
Northants
I read somewhere(cant remember where lol)that if you have 2 bn's in the same tank,one will allways grow bigger than the other.Just wondered if anyone knows if this is true or not,and does it work the same with other plecos?;)

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
It works with all fish including plecos. It does depends on the layout, size of tank etc. One male will usually become dominant and will grow faster.

Fish including plecs also release an anti growth hormone into the water to prevent other fish from growing faster than them so that they can be the dominant and bigger fish thus increasing their chance of survival significantly.

plecmom

Jun 2, 2009
AB, Canada
It works with all fish including plecos. It does depends on the layout, size of tank etc. One male will usually become dominant and will grow faster.

Fish including plecs also release an anti growth hormone into the water to prevent other fish from growing faster than them so that they can be the dominant and bigger fish thus increasing their chance of survival significantly.
wow, that is fascinating!! I had no idea! cool! :goodpost:

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
interesting !! - I presume they are immune to their own anti-grow hormone?
and are they species specific? eg I keep LDA33 and L200 in same tank.
Will the dominant L200 slow the growth of the LDA33 and vice versa???

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
interesting !! - I presume they are immune to their own anti-grow hormone?
and are they species specific? eg I keep LDA33 and L200 in same tank.
Will the dominant L200 slow the growth of the LDA33 and vice versa???
Ill dig out some info for you:yes:

Doodles

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Can't find the article that I had ages ago:wb:

Anyway it is pheromones not hormones although there is a growth hormone that is released and when confined spaces become too full 'toxic levels' of this hormone ie aquariums, they start to inhibit growth, this would affect all the fish though, partly why fish grow quicker with regular water changes also explains why fish farms do massive water changes.

The pheromone that is thought to be an anti growth hasn't been scientifically proven in all fish but in some cichlids like angelfish i think and also aggressive types of fish---so that was my bad.

Theres more info about pheromones in this article by kordon, ignore the fact that they are trying to get you to buy amquel as water changes have the same effects, the info is pretty interesting.

http://www.novalek.com/kordon/articles/pheromones.html

Bit more info

http://www.tropicalfishcentre.co.uk/goldfish1.htm

I will try and find the source of where I read about antigrowth pheromones when I looked into it last year.

Irene0100

UK Support Team
May 14, 2009
Norfolk, UK
wow, thanks for that.
I wondered why people say daily w/c on fry tanks makes them grow faster, that explains it . maybe I will plan even more w/c -lol!