Bolbitis

Pete

May 19, 2009
North wales
here's another plant that will grow on bogwood :clap:
I'm trying these as a change from Java fern . This one I planted a while ago on bogwood. Ive just done some more on 2 new pieces of bogwood and also on sponge stuck to the side of the tank
Pete

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
I have it in my tanks.
I originally bought 2 as Bolbitis heudelotii and B. heteroclita, B. heteroclita never looked happy, and I've since learnt that it is probably a terrestrial plant. I tied them on to wood with the a cable tie and then stapled them on. After a couple of weeks I cut the cable tie away and B. heudelotii had attached. On the plant I have the frond is small but a fantastic dark, translucent green.

I still have B. "heudelotii", it seems quite happy but it grows very slowly. I've tried it in the light and current from the powerhead, where it covered in algae, but I re-found the original plant after over a year down in the "jungle", and it looked very healthy. I'm pretty sure the plant I have (bought from "Greenline") is not quite the same as Pete's, and that his is the better form if you can find it (the other possibility is that it is the same plant but with a different growth form due to water hardness or pH or nutrients etc.).

cheers Darrel

Joby

Retired Staff
Aug 9, 2009
West Midlands
Thats quite a nice effect, you've inspired me to have a go attaching stuff to my bogwood. I have mostly bare bottomed tanks so plants are usually not used but be nice to see some green :D

dw1305

Global Moderators
Staff member
May 5, 2009
Wiltshire nr. Bath, UK
Hi all,
Joby, I'd definitely try Java Fern (particularly the Windelov form) and Java moss first, they grow much more quickly than Bolbitis (or Anubias sp.).

Have you seen Pete's "Java fern on sponge" thread and gallery?, both brilliant.

cheers Darrel

Pete

May 19, 2009
North wales
Have you seen Pete's "Java fern on sponge" thread and gallery?, both brilliant.

cheers Darrel
Thanks darrel :woohoo:

Not sure what species the Bolbitis is, a friend gave me a piece . I could send you a piece when it spreads may take a few months tho !

The new ones I've planted were given to me by my LFS , he's asked me to grow it on and give him some back

It was labelled Bolbitis Difformis (hand written label) but I cant find any mention of this species on a google search
Pete