Breeding Ancistrus sp. 'Rio Ucayali'

Gem400

May 18, 2009
Barnsley,UK
After searching for 2 years for a male to join my lady my 'Rio Ucayai' they spawned within 2 days of putting them together :D

The male is approx 5" TL and the female approx 4.5" TL and have quite dull markings compared to juvenile 'Rio Ucayalis'

The tank is 30" x 12" x 15", ph 7.2, temp 27C, has lots of caves, bogwood and has a large spongefilter and a sponge filter driven by a powerhead creating good flow.

Male

Female

The fish were not shy and spawned with the lights on with lots of tail slapping and shoving going on,the female was pressing down on the males bristles quite firmly with her tail, this happened for a few hours.

The tank was checked after lights out and unfortunately the male had kicked the eggs out so they were placed in a fry saver with an airstone and started hatching 4 days later.

3 day old fry

4 day old fry

10 day old

Approx 3 month old

Once the fry had used their eggs sacs they were fed on courgette, new potato, powdered fry food, new era pleco pellets and frozen baby brine shrimp.

The fry grew quickly and were a good 4cm at 3 months old.

Breeding tank

Cheers
Gem

Last edited:

scatz

Retired Staff
Apr 8, 2009
Devon, UK
Excellent Log Gemma, might have to pinch some ideas to try and get my L213 going.

posted using my fingers and a keyboard

MICKSNOWDOG

Jan 30, 2011
AUSTRALIA
i had these breeding for me a while back, it was very common for the males to kick the eggs and i had a higher than usual fry mortality rate. for the life of me i have not been able to get them to breed for a good 12 months i reckon.

ccole

Jan 15, 2011
norfolk
thanks alot gem- excellent reading. i bought some of the same bns about 3 months back on an impulse and its great to read some first hand expereince. p.s yours are beautiful!
respects
cc