Breeding Behaviour

Apr 27, 2009
Middle Earth
:hi:
Not getting my hopes up yet, but i've recently discovered the original Rainbow Cichlid i had is actually Female as she has paired with the other one i added, i recently moved them both to the 4ft and they have taken over both back corners and been clearing out the gravel, the R/H corner has a good sized rock stood vertical which i guess they will lay the eggs on if any and the L/H will be the nursery. The Male has darkened up nicely and they are guarding these "Territories" tag teaming between the 2 spots :clap:
Like i say i'm not getting ahead of myself and getting too excited as with the 5 small/medium plecs in there the opportunities for the eggs to get gobbled up are many but would be very happy if they did spawn :thumbup:
going to start feeding Brine Shrimp to condition them a bit as well
even if no success in this tank at least i know i have a Pair now
Rob

Apr 27, 2009
Middle Earth
Well i did see some fry for a day but they must have all been eaten, i think it was either the pictus or Hoplo :(
But thats the risk of a community tank, there was no way i was going to remove the fry and mother even if i'd had somewhere to put them.
Well now its been a few days and the little devils have been at it again and one of my bogwood pieces is home to more eggs :D looking to make some kind of screen to put in the tank to keep the fry seperate from the other fish when they hatch, will keep all informed of progress, but for now heres some pix :thumbup:

Apr 27, 2009
Middle Earth
Set up a breeding tank for em :thumbup:
Not possible at the moment i'm afraid, even if it was any Breeding tank i set-up would have to be properly decorated like any other tank, my fish are my friends not my income which is why i will never interfere i want them to live in as natural an environment as they can and be completely at home, if the screen doesn't work then at least my catfish are getting a free meal, its just nature, maybe in the future i'll be able to give them a more appropriate home in which to get it on but for now they have to accept their tank mates :(