Breeding L201

Jacqueline

Jan 19, 2011
Holland
Here are some notes and pictures of my Hypancistrus L201.

Bought 2,5 years ago as my very first wild caught Hypancistrus species, L201. I picked 6 out of a group of about 30 just shipped in. I like to have small breeding groups because that just works better for me. After a few months I could see that they were 2 females and 4 males. They spawned no problem after a few months. The female was only 6cm at the time! After about 7 months they started to fight and so I took out 2 males. One of those males even had a spawn but lost his eggs during a fight and the dominant male eat the eggs. Then things settled down again but they had stopped spawning for about 5 months. Maybe just to take a break or maybe because I upset the group..... 2 Months ago they resumed spawning again :D

Some parameters:
PH 7,1
KH 3
NO2 0
NO3 <5
Microsiemens 200-300
Temperature 28-30 degrees

The group when I just bought them

From egg to fry

Fry just hatched

2 Days old

3 Days old

5 Days old

7 Days old

8 Days old

11 Days old

Dad with fry

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
I must say a big thank you to Jacqueline for these wounderfull photos and the information.

macvsog23

Pleco Profiles Team - RIP FRIEND
May 1, 2009
Bristol
"One of those males even had a spawn but lost his eggs during a fight and the dominant male eat the eggs"

Interesting information

Jacqueline

Jan 19, 2011
Holland
Yes, I have about 10 breeding groups of Hypancistrus. All except one (the L199) the dominant male is the only one that mates succesfully with the females and has fry. With my L201 one of the upcoming/competitive males spawned with one of the females. He had the eggs just for 1 day and lost them during the night. The dominant male had left his egg clutch and was fanning the eggs of the rival male. The other eggs were all gone and the subdominant male was badly battered. I didn't loose him thankfully but he is marked for life because of a broken tail.

My L199 don't seem to have any problems when 2 males are guarding eggs and fry at the same time.

Thanks all :D

tommy mf

Aug 27, 2010
Melbourne
Nice breeding log!

May I ask what size the males was for the first spawn? And also what size is reasonable to sex males and females?

I've got two myself at about 6 to 7cm so maybe I might have to take photo and put them up for fellow forum members to input their thoughts. Unless this is too small to sex?

thanks!

Jacqueline

Jan 19, 2011
Holland
Thanks @Mooo :)

Nice breeding log!

May I ask what size the males was for the first spawn? And also what size is reasonable to sex males and females?

I've got two myself at about 6 to 7cm so maybe I might have to take photo and put them up for fellow forum members to input their thoughts. Unless this is too small to sex?

thanks!
The males were about 8cm TL. The female was only 6cm TL when she first spawned. I think you can see the different sex when they are about 7-8cm more clearly.